Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by rajath rajagopal <ra...@hotmail.com> on 2007/07/06 07:15:46 UTC

Debugging jetspeed in Eclipse and Tomcat

Hi,
I was trying to debug my portlet application using eclipse and tomcat. I
installed sysdeo plugin for tomcat  in eclipse. How ever when i start the
portlet app in debug perspective I am getting error
"Failed to connect to remote VM. Connection refused".

I had modified the catalina.bat with
set JAVA_OPTS = -Xdebug
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8000,server=y,suspend=n
and started tomcat using the option
catalina jpda start.
I had used localhost/8000 as debug parameters.

What could be the reason ?  Please help.
Also is it possible to debug the initial loading phase of jetspeed using
this approach ?
Is there any documentation for this as I found no description in jetspeed
website under this title ?

Thanks,
Rajath.

Re: Debugging jetspeed in Eclipse and Tomcat

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <pm...@apache.org>.
Hi Dennis,

On 7/6/07, Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com> wrote:
> Perhaps it should be localhost:8000?
>
> Ron
>
> Dennis Dam wrote:
> > Rajath,
> >
> > I also run Jetspeed in Tomcat  from within Eclipse, and I just use the
> > sysdeo plugin interface (Tomcat start/stop buttons) to debug jetspeed:
> > just place breakpoints somewhere, and Eclipse will automatically
> > switch to the debug perspective when the app hits your breakpoint.
> > I tagged my jetspeed projects as "Tomcat project" in Project
> > properties > Tomcat! If that fails, you can try to add the Jetspeed
> > projects to the classpath in Window > Preferences > Tomcat > Advanced
> > . I'm using version 3.2.0 of the Sysdeo plugin by the way.
> >
> > You can also debug the initial loading phase of Jetspeed, by simple
> > checking out Jetspeed in eclipse, and placing breakpoints, for example
> > in the Jetspeed Engine.
> >
> > regards,
> > Dennis
> >
> > rajath rajagopal wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I was trying to debug my portlet application using eclipse and
> >> tomcat. I installed sysdeo plugin for tomcat  in eclipse. How ever
> >> when i start the portlet app in debug perspective I am getting error
> >> "Failed to connect to remote VM. Connection refused".
> >>
> >> I had modified the catalina.bat with
> >> set JAVA_OPTS = -Xdebug
> >> -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8000,server=y,suspend=n

Don't add this tomcat will do it by itself. You do need

JPDA_TRANSPORT=dt_socket
JPDA_ADDRESS=8000

Then run with 'catalina jpda run'

Philip

> >> and started tomcat using the option
> >> catalina jpda start.
> >> I had used localhost/8000 as debug parameters.
> >>
> >> What could be the reason ?  Please help.
> >> Also is it possible to debug the initial loading phase of jetspeed
> >> using this approach ?
> >> Is there any documentation for this as I found no description in
> >> jetspeed website under this title ?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Rajath.

Philip Donaghy
Portals.Apache.Org Project Management Comm.
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy
Office: +33 5 56 60 88 02
Mobile: +33 6 20 83 22 62

Re: Debugging jetspeed in Eclipse and Tomcat

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by rajath rajagopal <ra...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your help. I was able to debug jetspeed in Eclipse and tomcat.

Regards,
Rajath.

Posted by Dennis Dam <d....@hippo.nl>.
Rajath,

rajath rajagopal wrote:
> Hi,
> I was trying to debug my portlet application using eclipse and tomcat.
> I installed sysdeo plugin for tomcat  in eclipse. How ever when i
> start the portlet app in debug perspective I am getting error
> "Failed to connect to remote VM. Connection refused".
>
> I had modified the catalina.bat with
> set JAVA_OPTS = -Xdebug
> -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8000,server=y,suspend=n
> and started tomcat using the option
> catalina jpda start.
> I had used localhost/8000 as debug parameters.
>
> What could be the reason ?  Please help.
> Also is it possible to debug the initial loading phase of jetspeed
> using this approach ?
> Is there any documentation for this as I found no description in
> jetspeed website under this title ?
>
> Thanks,
> Rajath.

Hippo