Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/14 15:12:25 UTC

New lab, using Git

Hi,

[cc infra-dev@, FYI]

There's an experimental Gerrit installation at git.apache.org, and
I've been thinking of ways for us to leverage it as a possible way of
hosting native Git repositories at Apache. To do that, we'd need some
candidate projects to iron out all the open issues and potential
problems.

Doing that within a "normal" Apache project is a bit troublesome as
the code that's eventually targeted for a release wouldn't have an svn
history behind it. At Labs however we have codebases that are not
targeted to be released (except after migrating from away from the
Labs), and thus don't have as strict operational requirements. So I
was thinking that it would make sense to use a Labs codebase as a
guinea pig for native Git support.

What I'd like to do is to start up a new Lab for an idea I recently
had (see below), but use Git instead of Subversion for version
control. The obvious alternative is to simply do this on Github, but
I'd like to see how this could work in Apache. The canonical
repository of this codebase would live on git.apache.org and all
commits would go through Gerrit to better keep track of the origin and
oversight of the changes. I'd set up commit notifications etc. to go
to Labs just like with svn.

If the lab ended up attracting more interest, we'd take it to the
Incubator as an externally developed codebase and do a normal IP
clearance on it before importing it to Apache svn.

WDYT?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

     xmlns="http://usefulinc.com/ns/doap#"
     xmlns:foaf="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"
     xmlns:labs="http://labs.apache.org/doap-ext/1.0#"
     xmlns:projects="http://projects.apache.org/ns/asfext#">
<Project rdf:about="http://labs.apache.org/labs#oak">
 <name>Oak</name>
 <shortname>oak</shortname>
 <shortdesc xml:lang="en">HTTP-based hierarchical storage system</shortdesc>
 <description xml:lang="en">Oak is a system for storing and managing a
hierarchy of web resources. An Oak system is accessed using HTTP,
possibly with extensions like WebDAV or AtomPub. Each resource stored
in Oak is associated with a media type, and pluggable converters are
used to generate different representations of the resources. For
example, a PHP resource would be executed on the server side when
requested as text/html. Pluggable map-reduce tasks are used for things
like search indexes and resource summaries. The managed resource
hierarchy is stored in a distributed hash table or an equivalent cloud
storage backend.</description>
 <homepage rdf:resource="http://labs.apache.org/oak/"/>
 <license rdf:resource="http://usefulinc.com/doap/licenses/asl20"/>
 <created>2010-6-14</created>
 <labs:status>active</labs:status>
 <maintainer>
  <foaf:Person rdf:about="http://people.apache.org/~jukka/#me">
   <foaf:name>Jukka Zitting</foaf:name>
   <foaf:homepage rdf:resource="http://people.apache.org/~jukka/"/>
   <foaf:mbox_sha1sum>79c84b7b6c8440f312aac4557938d9c3fbcb1384</foaf:mbox_sha1sum>
  </foaf:Person>
 </maintainer>
 <repository>
  <!-- TODO: How does a GITRepository look like? -->
  <SVNRepository>
    <location rdf:resource="http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/labs/oak/"/>
    <browse rdf:resource="http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/labs/oak/"/>
  </SVNRepository>
 </repository>
 <programming-language>clojure</programming-language>
 <programming-language>javascript</programming-language>
</Project>
</rdf:RDF>

Re: New lab, using Git

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.

On 06/18/10 17:36, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Jun 18, 2010, at 9:41 AM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

>> On 06/18/10 12:19, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Since there were no objections so far, I'll move forward on this over
>>> the next few days.
>>>
>>> I'll use labs@ for topics related to the proposed Oak lab itself, and
>>> infra-dev@ for stuff related to the required Gerrit setup.
>>>
>>> BR,
>>>
>> Jukka, sorry, I've not been paying enough attention due to real life.
>>
>> <Infra VP Hat>
>> There are several issues [1] with what you propose.  Some of them we can
>> fix others we can't.  Please hold off for now until we discuss this some
>> more.  I think at this point a better venue would be infra-private until
>> we bring the results back to the public eye.
>>
>> 1.  You're running a production service, and of all services Version
>> 	control in a ZONE.
>> 2.  Nobody knows how this works other then you.
>> 3.  Just b/c its a lab doesn't mean its free of the ASF wide policy
>> 	guidelines.
>> </Infra VP Hat>
>
> On the contrary, because it is a lab it is not able to do releases
> and is not an Apache project.  It is therefore outside any of our
> policies regarding Apache releases, including use of subversion.
> I don't think there should be any more restrictions placed on labs
> than we would place on what committers do with their home directory
> on people.a.o.
While I agree with Roy, I wasn't aware this was the case of labs.  It is
a PMC afterall.

Given the no release and it will end up in svn at incubation if it gets
that far bullet, I don't particularly have any objection to this.  As
for the community expirement portion I do NOT agree its a good test.
Labs are small and typically 1-2 people. I don't think any reasonable
conclusions of how it will affect ASF as a whole or any one TLP can be
drawn either good or bad.

What I would like to see happen is the git stuff moved off zones and
SunOS to a real server esp since all zones will eventually die this
year. I would like to see lots more documentation and at least 1 person
on root@ familiar with this and able to help maintain it.

VP Apache Infrastructure; Member, Apache Software Foundation
Committer,                        FreeBSD Foundation
Consultant,                       P6M7G8 Inc.
Sr. System Admin,                 Ridecharge Inc.

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.

Re: New lab, using Git

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Jun 18, 2010, at 9:41 AM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

> On 06/18/10 12:19, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since there were no objections so far, I'll move forward on this over
>> the next few days.
>>
>> I'll use labs@ for topics related to the proposed Oak lab itself, and
>> infra-dev@ for stuff related to the required Gerrit setup.
>>
>> BR,
>>
> Jukka, sorry, I've not been paying enough attention due to real life.
>
> <Infra VP Hat>
> There are several issues [1] with what you propose.  Some of them we can
> fix others we can't.  Please hold off for now until we discuss this some
> more.  I think at this point a better venue would be infra-private until
> we bring the results back to the public eye.
>
> 1.  You're running a production service, and of all services Version
> 	control in a ZONE.
> 2.  Nobody knows how this works other then you.
> 3.  Just b/c its a lab doesn't mean its free of the ASF wide policy
> 	guidelines.
> </Infra VP Hat>

On the contrary, because it is a lab it is not able to do releases
and is not an Apache project.  It is therefore outside any of our
policies regarding Apache releases, including use of subversion.
I don't think there should be any more restrictions placed on labs
than we would place on what committers do with their home directory
on people.a.o.

....Roy

Re: New lab, using Git

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Philip M. Gollucci
<pg...@p6m7g8.com> wrote:
> Please hold off for now until we discuss this some more.
> I think at this point a better venue would be infra-private until
> we bring the results back to the public eye.

OK, cool. Following up on infra-private.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: New lab, using Git

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.

Re: New lab, using Git

Re: New lab, using Git

Posted by Peter Hunsberger <pe...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So I
> was thinking that it would make sense to use a Labs codebase as a
> guinea pig for native Git support.

[...]

> <Project rdf:about="http://labs.apache.org/labs#oak">
>  <name>Oak</name>
>  <shortname>oak</shortname>
>  <shortdesc xml:lang="en">HTTP-based hierarchical storage system</shortdesc>
>  <description xml:lang="en">Oak is a system for storing and managing a
> hierarchy of web resources. An Oak system is accessed using HTTP,
> possibly with extensions like WebDAV or AtomPub. Each resource stored
> in Oak is associated with a media type, and pluggable converters are
> used to generate different representations of the resources. For
> example, a PHP resource would be executed on the server side when
> requested as text/html. Pluggable map-reduce tasks are used for things
> like search indexes and resource summaries. The managed resource
> hierarchy is stored in a distributed hash table or an equivalent cloud
> storage backend.</description>

Don't know about the GIT part, but Oak sounds very interesting...

--
Peter Hunsberger