Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com> on 2005/12/19 21:44:57 UTC

Where to locate regression tests for continuation bug fixes

I'd like to add regression tests to the test suite for
bugs 125, 170, 491, and 492 as part of my patch proposal.
The tests that I think will be added are as follows:

125: Verify that a prepared statement containing 2,000
      parameter markers can be successfully prepared and
      executed.
170: Verify that an error in preparing a statement is
      correctly caught and reported even if one of the
      parameters to the statement is enormous (megabytes)
491: Verify that a procedure which returns multiple
      result sets works properly even if the result set
      QRYDTA is rather long and must be split. Verify that
      this is true regardless of whether the result set
      with lots of QRYDTA is the first result set returned,
      the last result set returned, or somewhere in the middle.
492: Verify that a procedure which returns a result set
      which contains hundreds of columns works properly.

When I worked on DERBY-614, I added a testcase for it
to testing/org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/tests/derbynet/prepStmt.java
Does that seem like a reasonable place to add these additional
test cases?

Note that the tests for bugs 491 and 492 involve both some
client-side Java code, and some stored procedure code. Should
I add the stored procedure code to
testing/org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/util/ProcedureTest.java?

thanks,

bryan

Re: Where to locate regression tests for continuation bug fixes

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 12/19/05, Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com> wrote:
[snip]

> When I worked on DERBY-614, I added a testcase for it
> testing/org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/tests/derbynet/prepStmt.java
> Does that seem like a reasonable place to add these additional
> test cases?

my 2 c: from your description, it would make sense for 125 and 170. But
maybe 491 and 492 could be better placed in lang/procedure.java
or jdbcapi/resultset.java tests, even though you worked on network server
behavior...
Another option is to create a brand new test.

Note that the tests for bugs 491 and 492 involve both some
> client-side Java code, and some stored procedure code. Should
> I add the stored procedure code to
> testing/org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/util/ProcedureTest.java?

Well... The current test harness does not separate out the client and server
code...but it might be nice in case we want to do this in the future to at
least have a different file for the one vs. the other...On the other hand,
it may make things more easy to oversee if each test has the code for the
procedures it needs. ProcedureTest.java was really created to be used from
test lang/procedure.java. I think subsequent test writers have mostly been
using the procedures there in other tests rather than write new ones with
similar signatures - but I haven't verified this for every use.

Myrna