Posted to users@pulsar.apache.org by PengHui Li <pe...@apache.org> on 2021/05/25 13:26:37 UTC

[SECURITY] [CVE-2021-22160] Authentication with JWT allows use of “none”-algorithm

CVE-2021-22160 Apache Pulsar Information Disclosure

Severity: High

Versions Affected:
Apache Pulsar < 2.7.1

If Apache Pulsar is configured to authenticate clients using tokens
based on JSON Web Tokens (JWT), the signature of the token is not
validated if the algorithm of the presented token is set to "none".
This allows an attacker to connect to Pulsar instances as any user
(incl. admins).

Mitigation:
Users of the affected versions should apply one of the following
mitigations:
Upgrade to Apache Pulsar 2.7.1 or later

Credit:
This issue was identified by Peter Stöckli

Re: [SECURITY] [CVE-2021-22160] Authentication with JWT allows use of “none”-algorithm

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
For people who are following this thread, I want to make a clarification
about this issue (and apologized for not making it clear at the beginning)

This issue will ONLY happen to users who are using the JWT
authentication provider. If you are using other authentication providers,
you are NOT impacted.

If you are using a JWT authentication provider, you don't need to be panic
as well. If you have already configured `roleClaim`, `audienceClaim`, and
`audience` for your JWT auth provider, you are well protected in general.
Because the JWT authentication provider will verify the audience. Unless
the attacker knows all the above fields, they will not able to mock a token
to bypass the JWT auth provider.

Also, the issue can ONLY allow a token to be authenticated with a NONE
signing algorithm. An authenticated user doesn't directly gain any access.
It will still go through the authorization process. Because all the Pulsar
roles are NOT predefined. That Pulsar role names are generated, configured,
and managed by the users. Unless the attacker knows your roles, they won't
be able to mock a token to access your cluster.

So there is a couple of recommendations for everyone here:

1) Make sure you enable the authorization provider to authorize any
connections coming to Pulsar.
2) Your superuser roles are typically configured in the broker conf. Please
don't use those popular strings like `admin`, `superuser` as your superuser
roles. So the attacker won't be able to guess or brute-force your role
names.
3) You SHOULD configure the `roleClaim`, `audienceClaim`, and `audience`.

Let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to ping me if you need any
helps.

- Sijie

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Jonathan,

Providing guides to Pulsar users on how to build a 2.6 image rather than
promoting a vendor image is much better.

- Sijie

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Jonathan,

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.