Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> on 2004/07/06 01:45:40 UTC

Re: [general] release instructions

Eric Pugh wrote:

>configuration has a build.xml that is periodically spit out using the Maven
>Ant goal, however, it then requires massaging and therefore never seems to
>keep up with the Maven build..   I believe that it exists only for the
>nightly build, is that correct?
>
>I guess I'm asking:
>1) What is required to get configuration to participate in the nightly
>build?
>2) What is required to get configuration to participate in the gump build?
>
>Eric

This reply is tremendously out of date (sorry ... I've been travelling
and heads-down for the last couple of months, and am only just getting
back to Apache stuff) ... but here's the skinny on commons nightly builds.

- They run on my home desktop nightly, and get uploaded.
  (I would heartily support a migration of this to some Apache
  sponsored hardware somewhere, especially if others would
  then be involved in maintaining the build scripts).

- My current build scripts require that "ant clean dist" (using a
  relatively recent Ant) works correctly, and builds a "dist"
  directory whose contents are what should be in a binary
  distribution.

- In turn, that means a project must either use Ant as its primary
  build tool, or use Maven to regenerate a build.xml that works
  correctly whenever an incompatible change is made.

As of this morning when I tried, running "ant dist" on the build.xml for
configuration still fails trying to find class
"org.apache.commons.collections.map.LinkedMap" -- implying that perhaps
your project.xml file is pointing at an incorrect version of Commons
Collections (although I would have thought that would make your Maven
based builds fail as well.

Further, I could not even use "maven ant" myself to regenerate a
build.xml file (simply to see if that was the only cause of the
problem).  I get a bunch of errors of the general form:

  Invalid Redirect URI from:

http://maven-plugins.sf.net:80/maven/plugins/maven-findbugs-plugin-0.7.2.jar.md5
to:

http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/maven/plugins/maven-findbugs-plugin-0.7.2.jar.md5

The bottom line is that I'd be happy to add "configuration" to the set
of nightly commons builds, but I need a build.xml file that works to
make that happen.

Craig McClanahan