Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/15 22:37:52 UTC

Adding 64-bit nodes to 32-bit cluster?

Hi,

We are thinking of adding some new 64-bit servers to run RegionServers to
our 32-bit HBase cluster.  Anything we should worry about or pay extra
attention to?

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Adding 64-bit nodes to 32-bit cluster?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Why 32 bit?  Because it was a cheaper and more suitable option when we set
up the cluster.

Btw. we've added the 64-bit machines to the 32-bit cluster and everything
survived - HBase 0.94.

Here's a graph showing just disk utilization and the 2 new nodes joining
the cluster and gradually taking more data:

https://apps.sematext.com/spm-reports/s/J3OBjjK7Xt

Otis

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Esteban Gutierrez <es...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
bq. Do we have kind of native compression in PB?

I don't think so.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.