Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by piero de salvia <pi...@yahoo.com> on 2001/06/08 22:10:55 UTC

Velocity syntax question (beginner question)

hi guys,

I'm sharpening my Velocity skills, maybe one day I'll
become a developer...

In the meantime, this works:

#set( $Animals = [ "cats", "dogs", "mice"] )

but this does not:

#set( $Animals = [ "cats",
"dogs",
"mice"] )

i.e. parser won't take newlines and will complain like
so:

apache.velocity.exception.ParseErrorException:
Encountered "\n" at line 2, column 53. Was expecting
one of: "[" ... ... "true" ... "false" ... ... ... "{"

What to do if I have a long list and want the newlines
to make it clearer to read?

piero de salvia

Re: Velocity syntax question (beginner question)

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 6/8/01 2:31 PM, "Jon Stevens" <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:

> Instead of hard coding values into your templates, store them in a database
> (of some sort...this could even be a flat text file)...then provide an
> object which can read that file in and translate that into an ArrayList
> which you can iterate over.

Sorry - I didn't mean to neglect to answer your question.

You are correct, the parser doesn't like newlines inside directives, so
we're stuck with putting lists on a single line.

As suggested before, depending on how you're using the list, it still
might make more sense to have the Developer add a List object into the
context for you to manipulate.

-jon

--
"Open source is not available to commercial companies."
            -Steve Balmer, CEO Microsoft

Re: Velocity syntax question (beginner question)

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.