Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Gianni Doe <gd...@yahoo.it> on 2008/11/06 15:39:11 UTC

Custom validator variablesMap() - Value of variable [[input]] could not be resolved

Hi
I've written a custom validator and error message and I'm adding my
own variables to the error message by overriding variablesMap().
My error message looks like thie:
<properties>
     <entry key="LocalDateTimeRangeValidator">${input} must be between
${startDate} and ${endDate}</entry>
</properties>

As I understand 3 default variables should be substituted by the
validator for ${label} ${input} and ${name}; if I use ${label} and $
{name} they get substituted fine but ${input} is not:

WicketMessage: Exception 'java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Value of
variable [[input]] could not be resolved while interpolating [[$
{input} must be between ${startDate} and ${endDate}]]' occurred during
validation com.resprompt.webapp.validation.LocalDateTimeValidator
$LocalDateTimeRangeValidator on component
0:carHireSearchForm:dropoffDate

I've had a look through the source for the Wicket built-in validators
and I can't seem any instance of 'input' being added explicitly to the
variablesMap, any ideas why this isn't being set for me?

public abstract class LocalDateTimeValidator<T extends BaseLocal>
extends AbstractValidator<T> {

     private static final long serialVersionUID = -5922211613447031430L;
     private static Logger log =
LoggerFactory.getLogger(LocalDateTimeValidator.class);

     public static <U extends BaseLocal> LocalDateTimeValidator<U>
range(U startDate, U endDate) {
         return new LocalDateTimeRangeValidator<U>(startDate, endDate);
     }

     public static class LocalDateTimeRangeValidator<T extends
BaseLocal> extends LocalDateTimeValidator<T> {

         private static final long serialVersionUID =
-6335920679560594249L;
         private T startDate;
         private T endDate;

         public LocalDateTimeRangeValidator(T startDate, T endDate) {
             this.startDate = startDate;
             this.endDate = endDate;
         }

         @Override
         protected void onValidate(IValidatable<T> validatable) {
             BaseLocal date = validatable.getValue();
             if (!(date.isAfter(startDate) && date.isBefore(endDate))) {
                 error(validatable);
             }
         }

         @Override
         protected String resourceKey() {
             return "LocalDateTimeRangeValidator";
         }

         @Override
         protected Map<String, Object> variablesMap(IValidatable<T>
validatable) {
             Map<String, Object> map = super.variablesMap(validatable);
             map.put("startDate", startDate);
             map.put("endDate", endDate);
             return map;
         }
     }
}

Thanks
Gianni

Re: Custom validator variablesMap() - Value of variable [[input]] could not be resolved

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
this is done by formcomponent's messagesource. i would imagine it
wouldnt be set if you use the validator outside of standard
formcomponent validation - but in that case you dont have "input"
anyways.

see FormComponent:250 - at least that is the line number in trunk

// add the input param if not already present
if (!fullParams.containsKey("input"))
{
  fullParams.put("input", getInput());
}