Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/11/25 14:26:25 UTC

Incoming Website Changes

All,

I'm planning to start committing a number of website changes.  These
changes are a summary of my experience bootstrapping podlings, questions
I've received (both on and off mailing list) from people trying to do
setup, and ways to leverage new infra services.

Here's a summary of the current changes:

Mentor Guide: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html

This is the most substantial area changed.  The page has been reordered to
list the steps to take in the order to take them.  The current format has
it all over and makes it hard to follow when you should do what.  In
addition, I've added links to reporeq, Incubator ML requests, and
lists.apache.org

PPMC Guide http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html

I added a section clarifying binding votes within the PPMC, stating that
they're only binding for people issues, not releases.

Proposal Guide http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html

I updated the champion section to clarify that champion should be found at
the beginning of proposal formation, which is earlier than the current
"before submitted" step.  I also clarified that the champion's role is
around the proposal and entering the incubator, separate from mentors
(something we had agreed to a while ago, but was missing in this guide).

Graduation Guide http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html

Added a link to the Maturity Model as a step to follow for graduation.

I plan to commit these changes later today, and make more changes soon to
keep more documents up to date.

John

Re: Incoming Website Changes

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.
I would be delighted if the answer became cut and dry, modulo the fact
that if the cut-and-dry document became a laundry list for everyone's
favorite thing, that could move the goalposts pretty far for existing
podlings.

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
I think sadly both our policies and guidance are a bit outdated, and
for instance very SVN-centric - but I'm all for a split as that means
it's at least easier to update the guidance - updating policy (beyond
typos) is presumably something that needs to be agreed by IPMC before
publishing.

The policy should not be too bound by current technology and
infrastructure, but should focus on the community-side.  The guidance
can be more exemplified.

This distinction could then be noted in the documents similar to W3C
specs who have "This section is non-normative".

Agree with Bertrand's suggestion of starting with a minimal policy
document, but of course that means more potential overlap and
confusion until the old ones are gone. (as well as perhaps longer
email fights? :)

On 30 November 2016 at 07:38, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 3:49 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
>> .. should we just drop the
>> current "policy" document and make the guides the policy documents?...
>
> Clearly separating policy from everything else sounds good to me, but
> the policy docs should then be as concise as possible.
>
> Dunno if that can happen by just remixing the existing content, or if
> it's better to start a new minimal policy document or section now.
>
> -Bertrand

Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: Incoming Website Changes

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 6:37 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 2:38 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 3:49 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>> > .. should we just drop the
>> > current "policy" document and make the guides the policy documents?...
>>
>> Clearly separating policy from everything else sounds good to me, but
>> the policy docs should then be as concise as possible.
>>

> I think the problem (my opinion) is that the policy guide is too concise,
> but the guide documents are too wordy.  If we added more text to the policy
> and consolidated there on the processes required then we may end up with
> better documents.
>

>> Dunno if that can happen by just remixing the existing content, or if
>> it's better to start a new minimal policy document or section now.
>>

> I'm thinking a new document.

+1 to that. I'd be more than happy to help review, but sadly I can't commit
to create this kind of new document.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Incoming Website Changes

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 6:04 PM Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 4:06 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 4:57 PM Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> graduation.
> > > >

> > > There has been past controversy on including that as a graduation step.
> > I'm
> > > not clear that was a proper addition. Every discussion has said that it
> > can
> > > be used as a *guide*, rather than as a checklist.
> >
> > I argued myself into adding this one.  While I don't disagree with your
> > perspective, every time a podling graduates it comes up from board
> > members.
>

> Some Directors != The Board
>
> The Board has never required the IPMC to use the APMM as a requirement for
> graduation. And, I don't recall the IPMC making that requirement either.
>

> >   The IPMC did not prepare the maturity model, yet somehow it
> > applies to podlings planning to graduate.
> >

> Says who?
>

> > I'll point out that the page itself states this is only a guide, not a
> >

> On graduation.html, you list "Complete the Apache Project Maturity Model"
> as one of the preparation steps. That does not sound like a guide.
>
> policy.  So I don't think we've changed Incubator policy by adding a link.
> >

> By listing it like that on the graduation page, it is de facto policy.
>

> > I could see it being stated as more of "compare the podlings actions and
> > behaviors against the maturity model.  I could also see it moving into
> the
> > "Other Issues" section of the guide instead of the checklist section.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >

> Personally, I'd be fine with the link under "Other Issues". Something like
> "You may find the APMM a useful guide, to look at different factors in your
> podling's community."  (<waves-hand> on phrasing)

I think at this point, we're just arguing semantics.  I've drafted the
following for the other issues section.  I've removed it from the checklist
section.

Podlings who are unsure if they are ready to graduate may want to consider
completing the <a href="
http://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html"
target="_new">Apache Project Maturity Model</a>.  You may find this to be a
useful guide when looking at various factors in your podling's community.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 4:57 PM Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 8:26 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
>
> > Graduation Guide http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html
> >
> > Added a link to the Maturity Model as a step to follow for graduation.
> >

> There has been past controversy on including that as a graduation step. I'm
> not clear that was a proper addition. Every discussion has said that it can
> be used as a *guide*, rather than as a checklist.

I argued myself into adding this one.  While I don't disagree with your
perspective, every time a podling graduates it comes up from board
members.  The IPMC did not prepare the maturity model, yet somehow it

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Fwd: Incoming Website Changes

Posted by Jim Apple <jb...@cloudera.com>.
Greg Stein was also not enthused about it. The thread can be followed here:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/4d7c15ba541cff2f476214491f4f570b5165b700c589e98377ccffab@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by 冯嘉 <fe...@gmail.com>.

great job. thanks john. all parts will greatly help for our guys project start incubation, graduation:)

发自我的 iPhone