Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Morrison, John" <Jo...@uk.experian.com> on 2001/06/28 13:02:59 UTC

[C2] jar files

Hi all,

I've been looking at the jar files which C2 uses and I've some questions (no
surprise there ;)...

I'm creating a webapp which *only* serves XML.  No SVG, jpg, pdf, just XML.
So I was looking to see which jar's I can remove and wondered if a document
which stated something along the lines of jar XXX is required for the
functionality YYY, ZZZ etc... would be useful?  It would certainly cut down
the size of my war file and accelerate load times although the largest by
far is javac.

Also, and this is prob directed to the wrong people, why does the velocity
jar include so many other apache projects?  Shouldn't the jar files for them
be included seperately so they can be kept upto date?  For example I can see
jakarta-commons/collections, jakarta-avalon-logkit and jakarta-oro.  I do
wonder if this is the case with any others...?

Note that logkit is included as a separate jar and only the alphabetical
order of names keeps new functionality in front of velocity old.

Thoughts?

J.

of this email.

Re: [C2] jar files

Posted by "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KP...@flagship.ru>.
> Hi all,
>
> I've been looking at the jar files which C2 uses and I've some questions
(no
> surprise there ;)...
>
> I'm creating a webapp which *only* serves XML.  No SVG, jpg, pdf, just
XML.
> So I was looking to see which jar's I can remove and wondered if a
document
> which stated something along the lines of jar XXX is required for the
> functionality YYY, ZZZ etc... would be useful?  It would certainly cut
down
> the size of my war file and accelerate load times although the largest by
> far is javac.

I'm faced the same problem. From what I leart I can give an approximate list
of jars that you need for "minimal Cocoon" only, please correct me, if
anything is incorrect:

avalon-excalibur.jar [Avalon Excalibur]
avalon-framework.jar [Avalon framework]
cocoon-2.1-dev.jar [Cocoon engine]
dom2.jar [W3C DOM interfaces]
jakarta-regexp-1.2.jar [Regular expressions lib]
jstyle.jar [jStyle] - not sure that this jar is necessary, but it's used
somewhere inside Cocoon
logkit-1.0b2.jar [apache LogKit]
maybeupload.jar [File upload support] - this jar is required for HTML
serialization.
velocity-1.1-rc1.jar - it contains an additional class from LogKit (see
below)
xalan_2_2.jar - you know (can be replaced by other XSLT transformer)
xerces1_4_0.jar - you know this too (this can be replaced by another parser,
isn't it?)

> Also, and this is prob directed to the wrong people, why does the velocity
> jar include so many other apache projects?  Shouldn't the jar files for
them
> be included seperately so they can be kept upto date?  For example I can
see
> jakarta-commons/collections, jakarta-avalon-logkit and jakarta-oro.  I do
> wonder if this is the case with any others...?

About the velocity I have the same question. What is it for and why does it
contain LogKit and more over, it contains an extra
org.apache.log.output.ServletOutputLogTarget.class which is absent in the
separate LogKit jar.

> Note that logkit is included as a separate jar and only the alphabetical
> order of names keeps new functionality in front of velocity old.

But Cocoon doesn't work without the velocity lib, because it uses the
ServletOutputLogTarget class.

> Thoughts?

I think that a list with explanation of every jar in C2 will be very useful.
I don't know, e.g., what are they Axis jars for? C2 works without them and
can render XML.

> J.

Regards,
    Konstantin Piroumian.