Posted to dev@excalibur.apache.org by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org> on 2007/02/26 23:52:19 UTC

completing the release process

I've uploaded the m2 jars to the ibiblio-rsync directory, they should be
available from maven central in a few hours provided everything went ok.

Next step then is to copy the release binaries to www.apache.org/dist,
but for this i don't have the necessary rights to the excalibur
directory. Can someone help out here or do i need to go through infra
for this ?

When this is done i will send out a release announcement to the announce
list.

Regards
Jorg

Re: completing the release process

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org> writes:

> I've uploaded the m2 jars to the ibiblio-rsync directory, they should
> be available from maven central in a few hours provided everything
> went ok.
>

> Next step then is to copy the release binaries to www.apache.org/dist,
> but for this i don't have the necessary rights to the excalibur
> directory. Can someone help out here or do i need to go through infra
> for this ?

I'm in the middle of moving from Hong Kong to China, so I haven't had
time yet.  I'm also going to be offline for most of this week.  But if
no one has handled this by next weekend, I should be able to do it by
then at latest.

--
  jaaron

Re: completing the release process

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
I'm sorry,

I have no time (I have to fix some customer problem)

Carsten

Jorg Heymans wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> I think I'll have time for this tomorrow.
>>

> Thanks Carsten!
>
> The binaries are still in people.apache.org/~jheymans, src and javadoc
> releases included. The maven2 repo release is probably not needed in the
> release area.
>
> Regards
> Jorg

Carsten Ziegeler
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: completing the release process

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Re: thanks for getting it out there!

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

> I think a big *thank you* to Aaron and especially to Jorg (first-time
> release manager I believe!) is in order. So: thank you!

yeah that was my first release, and what an experience it was ;) I hope
the next one(s) will roll much smoother ...

> Doing release management for a project like ours is not exactly trivial,
> and given how old, erm, stable this stuff is and how much "exciting"
> stuff happens around here, it might not be too glamorous either. I think
> the fact that we (finally!) were able to get this stuff out properly is
> worth a lot; for me it is part of showing that apache can make good on
> its stability and long-term availability reputation. In a java landscape
> full of backwards-incompatible releases, loads of java-5-only open
> source projects (when 90% of the industry runs 1.4.x), continuous
> refactoring, and classloader architectures that *still* mostly suck
> everywhere, excalibur remains a dependable bastion of stability.

Nice words.

Still, in the days of web2.0 people look funnily at bastions of
stability. You get questions like "Anything invented that long is surely
outdated and buggy?", "Can it do Ajax?" etc etc ... Unless you're using
a patched version of dojo trunk in production you're not part of the 2.0
crowd.

I'm happy to have been able to contribute something to the
not-so-glamorous-Avalon project, and will step up again should the need
ever arise.

> I don't know if you'll make it to ApacheCon Europe (though I'll be
> really surprised if I see Aaron around here :-)), but I'll be sure to
> buy you a beer or other beverage if you do!

Won't be at apachecon, but i hear the Apache beer vouchers don't expire
easily ;-)

Cheers,
Jorg

Re: thanks for getting it out there!

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> writes:

> I don't know if you'll make it to ApacheCon Europe (though I'll be
> really surprised if I see Aaron around here :-)), but I'll be sure to
> buy you a beer or other beverage if you do!

I'll be there this year, so look out!  :-)

--
  jaaron

thanks for getting it out there! (was: Re: completing the release process)

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
Hey guys,

[...]

cheers,

Leo

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org>.
J Aaron Farr wrote:
> Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org> writes:
>
>> Would it be fair to say that, since this was most probably the last
>> big release, it is not so important anymore to adhere to the previous
>> release structure and you could just go ahead and do A) - also for
>> simplicity's sake ?
>
> Done.  Releases should be hitting the mirrors soon and the website is updated:
>
>  http://excalibur.apache.org/download.cgi
>
> You can send the announcement or if you'd rather, I will.

Thanks, I will send the announcement this weekend if that's ok.

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org> writes:

> Would it be fair to say that, since this was most probably the last
> big release, it is not so important anymore to adhere to the previous
> release structure and you could just go ahead and do A) - also for
> simplicity's sake ?

Honestly, that's what I'd like to do, but I wanted to bring the issue
up so anyone who doesn't like the idea can complain.  The reason we
had releases broken up before is so that someone could do a release of
an individual component, rather than all of excalibur.  Back in the
day, it was hard to get all the components on the same release
schedule, so breaking them up was the solution.

If no one else complains within 24 hours, I'm going to go ahead and
release as is.  I'll update the website and downloads page too.

--
  jaaron

Re: completing the release process

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org>.