Posted to users@flex.apache.org by "rodolpho@essencialcode.com.br" <ro...@essencialcode.com.br> on 2017/07/25 16:11:09 UTC

Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html
<https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html>

Re: AW: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Yishay,

Thanks for encouragement to the users! I would add to that list our facebook
fan page which has full of interesting news!
->https://www.facebook.com/ApacheFlexSDK/

Thanks,
Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: AW: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Posted by Yishay Weiss <yi...@hotmail.com>.
Well said.

There are plenty of things FlexJS could get a boost from, which don't
necessarily involve hardcore framework development.

We need more testing, a better website, documentation, a default skin
design, other stuff.

FlexJS is at 0.8.0 and we feel we're pretty close to 1.0. People on this
list can help make that happen.

I encourage anyone interested to have a look at the links [1, 2, 3] to get
an idea of the current state.

If anyone has an idea about what s/he can do, propose it here or on the dev
list [4] and let's make it happen.

[1] https://nextgenactionscript.com/
[2] https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/FlexJS
[4] http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/

AW: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Posted by "Krueger, Olaf" <OK...@edscha.com>.
Even if I'd really like it if the Flash Player lives forever its EOL Announcement is not a surprise at the end.
I would have liked a remaining life time a bit more time than just 2 years.
So we have to face the truth: Flash Player is dead.

But this doesn't mean that all our Flex development is useless suddenly.

Let's see the positive things:
There's still AIR as a powerful runtime alternative and maybe it will benefit from FP EOL.
So keep in mind that all our Flex apps are able to survive the loss of the Flash Player, with less effort.

Most of our development effort is coupled with AS3.
With FlexJS you can reuse your AS3/MXML skills so there's a fair chance to port your apps to JS/HTML5.
Keep in mind that it is up to each of us how fast FlexJS evolves.

I'm still using Flex, even for new projects. But I always keep the business logic free of any Flash dependencies and I removed AMF at server side at least.
Going this way I'm still hopeful that a migration to FlexJS could be done with little pain.
(If each Flex component has a counterpart at FlexJS side at least)

No matter if you decide to go with FlexJS or any other JS Framework, there's no guarantee that the chosen framework will still be there in a couple of years.
One of the main benefits of FlexJS is that is under the Apache hood.
So it's not influenced by the big players, we can even influence it ourselves.

Just my 2 cents,
Olaf

________________________________

Edscha Holding GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Remscheid
Registergericht: Wuppertal, HRB 22889
Geschäftsführung: Francisco J. Riberas Mera, Francisco López Peña, David Vázquez Pascual, Torsten Greiner, Markus Kirchner, Hans-Peter Schulz und Volker Weiss

Vertretungsberechtigt sind nur Geschäftsführer und schriftlich Bevollmächtigte.

Solely Managing Directors or employees with a written proxy have got power of representation.

Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien ist vertraulich und nur für den Empfänger bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Empfänger sein, ist Ihnen jegliche Offenlegung, Vervielfältigung, Weitergabe oder Nutzung des Inhalts untersagt. Bitte informieren Sie in diesem Fall unverzüglich den Absender und löschen Sie die E-Mail einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien von Ihrem System. Vielen Dank.

The contents of this e-mail including any attachments are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the sender immediately and then delete this e-mail including any attachments from your system. Thank you.

Re: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Posted by "rodolpho@essencialcode.com.br" <ro...@essencialcode.com.br>.
About AIR:  https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2362234

Posted by Deepak MS <me...@gmail.com>.
Awesome. Well said. That sure would encourage many to use FlexJS. \../

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 7/26/2017 12:35 PM, Harbs wrote:
> I go through many of the main points in my presentation here:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcLs0O-BWQ&index=5&list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj
>
> The rest of the presentations are probably of interest as well.
> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj

thanks.

Re: Flash & The Future of Interactive Content

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I go through many of the main points in my presentation here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcLs0O-BWQ&index=5&list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcLs0O-BWQ&index=5&list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj>

The rest of the presentations are probably of interest as well.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj <https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj>

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
FYI:

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I don’t believe donating Flash would accomplish anything (even if there were enough people to work on it).

The browser providers have been gradually pushing Flash out. Without browser support, there’s no point in having a plugin. At this point, Adobe effectively has their hands tied, and EOLing Flash is the only sensible thing to do.

Harbs

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
If there are multiple engineers available who would help with security patches then sure. Adobe would not be EOL on Flash if that were cheap.

If the source can be under the Apache License maybe.

That first requirement is what needs to be proven.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Scott Matheson <sm...@intralinks.com>.
If adobe had donate fFO 5 years ago IMHO flash would still be relevant

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Vincent Sotto <ds...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Yang <fl...@gmail.com>.