Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Jason B <ma...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/14 21:47:26 UTC

Burst Filter - Use to limit messages sent over a specific period?

I'm attempting to leverage a burst filter in my application.  I wish to log
errors and send e-mails any time we log an error.  The main thing is, I
don't want to send more than a few e-mails in a given time period (say, one
per event per fifteen minutes), to avoid overwhelming my inbox with these
error events.

Burst Filter seems appropriate for this role, but the documentation is
lacking.  For instance:

 - If I want a filter to accept only those events that happen after the
threshold, but "rest" for that fifteen minute period of time, how would I
accomplish this?  The configuration is less than intuitive here.

 - What is the role of <TimeBasedTriggeringPolicy />? It's not mentioned
anywhere on the site, and only by digging in the source could I actually
determine what it's supposed to be doing.  It's also listed in every
example for filters on the site.

Thanks for clearing up any confusion.

- Jason Black