Posted to dev@kylin.apache.org by vishalchm <ch...@gmail.com> on 2021/05/15 05:02:55 UTC

Kylin hbase creates table in upper case - athena

hi,

 I am trying to read data from hbase via aws athena. Challenge is hbase
tables created by kylin are in upper case, and Athena query converts table
name to lower case which throws table not found error..i am able to query
the table which is in lower case in hbase. is there any configuration in
Kylin to change the hbase table name to lower case.

Thanks,
Vishal

--
Sent from: http://apache-kylin.74782.x6.nabble.com/

Re: Kylin hbase creates table in upper case - athena

Posted by vishalchm <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shaofeng,

Here is something what I am trying to do.
I want to access the Kylin tables from quicksight but there are no options
in quicksight to query the Kylin data. so thought of the below 2 options

1. build HBase connector in Athena and use Athena as a data source in
quicksight. this is not going to work as you said due to the nature of data
storage in HBase.
2. Query Kylin data using spark with the help of JDBC driver and consider
spark as a data source in quicksight.  I am doubtful about this approach as
well, as quicksight will only read data from the spark temporary views and
will not utilize beautiful features of kylin.

Thanks,
Vishal

Posted by ShaoFeng Shi <sh...@apache.org>.
Hi Vishal,

All the HBase tables that Kylin created are in the upper case, just to be
consistent. So far there is no configuration to change the behavior; if you
want to customize, you may have to tweak the code, please check this:
https://github.com/apache/kylin/blob/master/core-cube/src/main/java/org/apache/kylin/cube/CubeManager.java#L99

I'm curious about your solution that using Athena to query HBase tables
created by Kylin.  Those tables are not readable for Athena I think,
because Kylin uses dictionaries and other methods to encode the dimension
values, so directly query HBase may not get the expected data. A better way
is querying Kylin via its JDBC driver.

Best regards,

Shaofeng Shi 史少锋
Apache Kylin PMC