Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Steve Brewin <sb...@synsys.com> on 2005/09/14 21:22:27 UTC

RE: Push e-mail

Thiago Pereira Raposo wrote:

> Hello Steve,
> Well, I would like to know if is there possible When I
> receive an e-mail the JAMES send a SMS to my mobile to notify
> me and the option to do the download of the mail in my mobile.
> Than, it is this, can James send a notification to a mobile?
>
> Thiago

There is no support in the James distribution for sending an SMS message.
Some mobile operators can provide you with an email address to which emails
can be forwarded which they then forward as an SMS message to your mobile.
I've no idea if this facility is provided by any Brazilian operators.

Alternatively, armed with a spare mobile phone that supports a connection to
your PC, you could write a Mailet that leverages the Wireless Messaging API
portion of the Java ME stack to send the message directly. I admit this
requires rather more work and knowledge.

-- Steve

> PS: It forgives me for the bad English ...
Sure is better than my Portuguese:)

Re: Push e-mail

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
Steve Brewin wrote on 15/09/05 07:22:

> Alternatively, armed with a spare mobile phone that supports a connection to
> your PC, you could write a Mailet that leverages the Wireless Messaging API
> portion of the Java ME stack to send the message directly. I admit this
> requires rather more work and knowledge.

Sub'd to the list awhile ago and have been lurking, but thought I'd
mention that this is exactly how I'm using James.  However we also run
various SMS gateways ourselves (we have a SOAP based API for commercial
use)).

A simple mailet works great for this.  Other than that, your best option
would be sending the message out using a mobile connected to your serial
port, or some bluetooth wireless messaging API (like Steve mentioned).

One problem with this is not being able to track the return path of
messages if your users reply to an SMS.  You're effectively stuck with a
one-way messaging system.  The through put of using a mobile may not be
so great either...

Mark