Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dan Payne <dp...@sotx.org> on 2002/12/19 20:21:20 UTC

[OT] RE: javac Memory Leak: STATUS request

Torsten, do you know what this means?

An error occurred at line: -1 in the jsp file: null

Generated servlet error:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file
    [javac] use: jikes [options] [@files] file.java...
    [javac] For more help, try -help or -version.
    [javac] Error: The option "-encoding" is unsupported in this build.
<snip>

I've unzipped the file jikes-1.18-windows.zip to C:\jikes-1.18

I've created the environment variables:
BOOTCLASSPATH=C:\j2sdk1.4.1_01\jre\lib\rt.jar
JIKESPATH=C:\jikes-1.18
CATALINA_OPTS="-Dbuild.compiler.emacs=true"

I've added C:\jikes-1.18\bin to my PATH variable.

I've edited conf/web.xml, adding the init-param "compiler" = "jikes" as
shown below:
    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>jsp</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet</servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>compiler</param-name>
            <param-value>jikes</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>javaEncoding</param-name>
            <param-value>UTF8</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>logVerbosityLevel</param-name>
            <param-value>WARNING</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <load-on-startup>3</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>

Am I missing anything? I came across something about having to install IBM's
ICU4J. Is this correct?

Thanks

-Dan

Posted by Dan Payne <dp...@sotx.org>.
Yeah, from the command line I can see that Jikes doesn't support
the -encoding option, although it used to. TC is passing it the -encoding
option and there doesn't appear to be a way to turn this off, save a custom
compilation. I explicitly set the javaEncoding, as shown below, just to see
what effect that had (none). Any suggestions?

call jikes manually on the command line and see which options he support.

why do you set the encoding manually to utf-8?

Posted by Torsten Fohrer <TF...@t-online.de>.