Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Johan Kindgren <jo...@acrend.se> on 2009/06/24 10:11:59 UTC

Maven as build tool?

I've been following this list for the last month and last week I
checked out the source code to create a patch for Lucene-1260. I had
to do some investigating of build-files before I found how to build
the whole project and run the tests, but eventually I found the right
way.

In the last week there have been conversations about how to run tests
in parallell and how to run a single test in a testsuite, and this is
stuff that comes out of the box with maven. I scanned markmail and
found a conversation about using maven as a build tool and there seem
to be some reluctance to using it, especially for projects with many
modules.
My experience from maven is that it simplifies the build process for
large projects a lot, especially multi-module projects. My current
assignment has close to 50 modules, and I can't see how that could be
built without a tool like maven.
There were also comments about that it is hard to customize build
process in maven, but you can always use the ant-run plugin to execute
some special steps with ant-tasks?

I haven't investigad how the current release process is done, but
maybe it could be simplified as well? Has there been any attempt of
replacing ant with maven? Is ant still the preferred way of building
lucene? (I really like ant for customizing the build process, but to
use it for a complete multi-module build seems complicated to me.)

/Johan