Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by "Hongfei Zhang -X (hongfezh - TRITON UK BIDCO LIMITED c/o Alter Domus (UK) Limited -OBO at Cisco)" <ho...@cisco.com> on 2019/03/04 20:09:45 UTC

Detecting Parent "Go_Direct" Condition from Header Rewrite or Lua HOOKs

Dear Community,

In one of our deployments, we used two tiered caches and needed to access origin using https. We used header rewrite in mid cache for https origin access (e.g. set-destination SCHEM https, etc), while kept edge to mid in http.

We also would like to to enable go_direct at the edge such that when the mids are down, edge can go to origin directly. The go direct functionality appeared to do the right thing except not able to switch to https. We are thinking of doing a header rewrite or lua script to conditionally set the sheme to https but can’t figure out how to check whether the edge is go_direct.

Is it possible to detect such condition from plugins?

Does anyone have experience altering requests based on parent selection results?

Thanks
-Hongfei

Re: Detecting Parent "Go_Direct" Condition from Header Rewrite or Lua HOOKs

Posted by "Eric Friedrich -X (efriedri - TRITON UK BIDCO LIMITED c/o Alter Domus (UK) Limited -OBO at Cisco)" <ef...@cisco.com>.
Thanks Miles-
  Wouldn’t this would require the parent proxy to have a certificate for the the origin.example.com<http://origin.example.com> domain? In our use case, we cannot get certificates for the origins (nor should a forward proxy need this).

Shouldn’t traffic server be able to connect to a parent via HTTP and to the origin via HTTPS?

—Eric

On Mar 5, 2019, at 11:45 AM, Miles Libbey <ml...@apache.org>> wrote:

If go_direct is doing the right thing, I think you could just have
your remap switch to https, then have the parent.config scheme be
https. eg
remap.config:
maps http://inbound.example.com https://origin.example.com
parent.config:
dest_domain=origin.example.com<http://origin.example.com> scheme=https parent="p1.x.com:443<http://p1.x.com:443>,
p2.x.com:443<http://p2.x.com:443>, p3.x.com:443<http://p3.x.com:443>" go_direct=true

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 12:09 PM Hongfei Zhang -X (hongfezh - TRITON UK

Posted by Miles Libbey <ml...@apache.org>.
If go_direct is doing the right thing, I think you could just have
your remap switch to https, then have the parent.config scheme be
https. eg
remap.config:
maps http://inbound.example.com https://origin.example.com
parent.config:
dest_domain=origin.example.com scheme=https parent="p1.x.com:443,
p2.x.com:443, p3.x.com:443" go_direct=true