Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@capgemini.com> on 2005/10/21 16:35:55 UTC

[m2] quick way to exclude dependencies

Hi,

My webapp uses spring and transitive dependencies (that is a cool
feature) adds tons of dependencies to my war.
I have to setup lot's of exclusions rules... more than dependencies I
have in my project !

Is there any way to make this quicker, perhaps some regexp matching
exclusion/inclusion rule ?

Nico.

Re: [m2] quick way to exclude dependencies

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
Note, I had already created: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEV-108

Though you did a more thorough job. :)

-Stephen

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@capgemini.com>.

Posted by Sridhar Radhakrishnan <sr...@redhat.com>.
I agree. They should be putting <optional>true</optional> on these poms.
Also, most of the poms doesn't specify the downloadURL where it can be
downloaded from. This again is a real pain in that you need to search
for these jars which are not straight forward as it is expected to be.
Also, in some cases, if the build fails for some dependencies, even the
"mvn -e or -X" option does not tell you the parent jar(like Spring)
which is dependent on these jars. Hopefully this can be fixed from
jira/maven.

-Sridhar.

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Duncan <st...@gmail.com>.
Spring needs to declare the dependency like this (as far as I know):

<dependency>
  <groupId>something</groupId>
  <artifactId>something-optional</artifactId>
  <optional>true</optional>
</dependency>

I think in most cases where you'd need multiple exclusions the actual
case is that you don't want to add the dependency, because you don't
want it in your war, or something like that, but you actually still do
transitively depend on it.  In that case you should declare the
dependency yourself, and set: <scope>provided</scope>.

I would like however, for <dependencyManagement> in a parent POM with
scope set to provided to apply to a transitive dependency.  I don't
think it does though.

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@capgemini.com>.

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@capgemini.com>.

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.