Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Michael Acevedo <ve...@yahoo.com> on 2011/10/25 05:04:15 UTC

[Proposal] Change in Apache OpenOffice.org Branding...

Hi,

I have been reading the OOo forum and first let me congratulate the Apache OOo team in completing the transition of the source code earlier this month. As for my proposal, it stems from one statement made in the OpenOffice.org Forums indicating that "Fundamentally, as a project "OpenOffice.org" is done." If the following is true I think it creates a great opportunity to refresh the OpenOffice.org brand. My proposal has the following provision:

- Drop the "3" or "3.4" suffix from the OpenOffice.org name and either leave the office suite name as "Apache OpenOffice.org" or "Apache OpenOffice.org 4
	* The rationale for this provision is the fact that the OOo code will undergo (or has undergone substantial rewriting) to allow the source code to be compliant with the Apache 2.0. licence scheme.
	* Furthermore, IBM's decision to donate Lotus Symphony to Apache will most likely result in a "code merger" with the Apache OpenOffice project which will result in a very altered (compared to today's) OpenOffice.org source code.
Well that's the basic idea behind proposal and I think the brand refresh will be beneficial for the Apache OOo project.

Again, thank you for your time and keep up the good work!

 Michael

Re: [Proposal] Change in Apache OpenOffice.org Branding...

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:41 PM, Doug <dm...@optonline.net> wrote:

> On 10/25/2011 12:26 AM, Doug wrote:
>
>> On 10/24/2011 11:04 PM, Michael Acevedo wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have been reading the OOo forum and first let me congratulate the
>>> Apache OOo team in completing the transition of the source code earlier this
>>> month. As for my proposal, it stems from one statement made in the
>>> OpenOffice.org Forums indicating that "Fundamentally, as a project
>>> "OpenOffice.org" is done." If the following is true I think it creates a
>>> great opportunity to refresh the OpenOffice.org brand. My proposal has the
>>> following provision:
>>>
>>> - Drop the "3" or "3.4" suffix from the OpenOffice.org name and either
>>> leave the office suite name as "Apache OpenOffice.org" or "Apache
>>> OpenOffice.org 4
>>>    * The rationale for this provision is the fact that the OOo code will
>>> undergo (or has undergone substantial rewriting) to allow the source code to
>>> be compliant with the Apache 2.0. licence scheme.
>>>    * Furthermore, IBM's decision to donate Lotus Symphony to Apache will
>>> most likely result in a "code merger" with the Apache OpenOffice project
>>> which will result in a very altered (compared to today's) OpenOffice.org
>>> source code.
>>> Well that's the basic idea behind proposal and I think the brand refresh
>>> will be beneficial for the Apache OOo project.
>>>
>>> Again, thank you for your time and keep up the good work!
>>>
>>>  Michael
>>>
>> This is probably not the place for the following, but since I don't know
>> what is, and you are undoubtedly one of the
>> movers and shakers in Apache O, I would like to suggest a couple of
>> things:
>>
>> 1.  For Pete's sake, drop that final "o."  If there ever was a
>> www.OpenOffice.org, it is surely gone by now.
>> 2.  Incorporate all the visual goodies and selections that Symphony
>> offers, so that you really have a
>>          competitive product to the commercial guys like MS Office.
>> 3. Fix Calc so that the blank boxes printed above the normal spreadsheet
>> disappear.  I can send you a sample if
>>          you don't know what I'm talking about.  Even Symphony has the
>> problem.  It looks like Libre has fixed it.
>>
>> Good luck with this.  I look forward to using the final product, whenever
>> it comes out.
>>
>> --doug
>>
>>  Replying to myself:  yes, there actually is an OpenOffice.org.  Oh, well.
> . . . OOo still looks silly.

yawn we have this discussion plenty of times. Ipad sounds like something you
use to stop a menstrual cycle and .net well... there is that nice dot again,
nevermind dot mac and others.

However when you are familiar with the product, and you identified with it,
is not the same effect. OOo has long been with their users and probably is
the best branding we could have. Not only that is embeded on the source code
(althought plenty of star stuff as well), the branches, the userlist and in
the vocabulary of most of the users.

Then again is this really that big of a thing?

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: [Proposal] Change in Apache OpenOffice.org Branding...

Posted by floris v <fl...@gmail.com>.
Op 25-10-2011 12:55, Patrick Durusau schreef:
> Terry,
>
> On 10/25/2011 04:50 AM, Terry wrote:
>> Hi, Alan.  I know that.  'Apache
>> OpenOffice' would be a good name.  I just think the '.org' can be
>> dropped.  As you indicate, people talk about 'OpenOffice' not
>> 'OpenOffice.org'.
>>

> So long as it remains known as "OpenOffice" I suspect that will work.
>
> It maybe called 'Apache OpenOffice' on the website but 'OpenOffice'
> will be the common usage.
>
> I don't known anyone who says "Apache Hadoop." Lots of folks do say
> "Hadoop."
>
> Hope you are having a great day!
>
> Patrick
>

>> Regards.
>>

>>> ________________________________

This discussion is also on the dev list, and openoffice is srtill the
preferred name.

Peter aka floris v

Re: [Proposal] Change in Apache OpenOffice.org Branding...

Posted by Patrick Durusau <pa...@durusau.net>.
Terry,

On 10/25/2011 04:50 AM, Terry wrote:
> Hi, Alan.  I know that.  'Apache
> OpenOffice' would be a good name.  I just think the '.org' can be
> dropped.  As you indicate, people talk about 'OpenOffice' not
> 'OpenOffice.org'.

So long as it remains known as "OpenOffice" I suspect that will work.

It maybe called 'Apache OpenOffice' on the website but 'OpenOffice' will
be the common usage.

I don't known anyone who says "Apache Hadoop." Lots of folks do say
"Hadoop."

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

> Regards.
>

>> ________________________________

Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau

Re: [Proposal] Change in Apache OpenOffice.org Branding...

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
Hi, Alan.  I know that.  'Apache

Posted by "Alan Lord (News)" <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Terry <we...@yahoo.com.au>.
I agree that the '.org' can be dropped now.  It had to be used previously because someone else owns the name 'OpenOffice' but the software could now be named something like 'Apache Office'.  The subject has been mentioned in comments on the blog and in the ooo-dev list where the decision will presumably be made.

Regards, Terry

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Thanks for the proposal and the discussions in this thread.  Apache
projects certainly appreciate input from users!

The decision for future product naming has already been brought up on
the ooo-dev@ list a number of times, and I expect in the near future the
PPMC will dive into it for a final name.

Apache does have some product branding requirements published:

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs

Note that we do expect to continue using the openoffice.org domain name
and some of it's services as a user-facing portal of information about
the project as the AOOo podling goes forward, to ensure that users who
know the OpenOffice name can continue to find our project in the future.
  Primary development (patches, testing, new features) will primarily be
done based at the future *.apache.org homepage of the project, as
reflects best practices for an Apache project.

- Shane

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
More to the point, we first need the AOOo PPMC on ooo-dev@ or similar to
come up with some specific branding proposals, at which point we can
then take those specific proposals to trademarks@ and/or Legal to get
specific legal feedback on that proposal.

One thing I have learned from participating in various legal issues at
the ASF is that discussion about hypothetical legal questions tends to
be unproductive.  It can be amusing sometimes, but rarely productive.

- Shane

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Adams <li...@clear.net.nz>.

Posted by "David H. Lipman" <DL...@Verizon.Net>.
From: "Michael Acevedo" <ve...@yahoo.com>

> My proposal in simple words is either 2 of the following options:
>  * Make the first Apache OpenOffice.org release get the 4.0 name as it is basically a
> new
> and mostly rewritten version of the current OOo source code. or
>
>  * Drop the version number from the Apache OpenOffice.org name.
> I think, I will add a third option here, drop the ".org" suffix and go simply with
> Apache
> OpenOffice as the project's name.
> Michael

+1

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Re: [Proposal] Change in Apache OpenOffice.org Branding...

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.
On 10/27/2011 10:56 PM, Michael Acevedo wrote:
> My proposal in simple words is either 2 of the following options:

/snip option 1/

> 	* Drop the version number from the Apache OpenOffice.org name.
> I think, I will add a third option here, drop the ".org" suffix and go simply with Apache OpenOffice as the project's name.
>
> Michael

+1

--doug

/snip/

Re: [Proposal] Change in Apache OpenOffice.org Branding...

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
Thanks.  I don't know about version numbering but I agree that '.org' is no longer needed nor desirable.

Regards, Terry

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Terry,

Sorry, you are having difficulty with ooo-marketing.

On Oct 27, 2011, at 7:19 PM, Terry wrote:

> This is what I attempted twice to post to the marketing list.  Someone on that list provided a longish list of OOo urls.
>
> The openoffice.org domains are a jungle.

Most of these extra domains are ones that had been used by people selling OpenOffice. The AOOo project needs to decide which, if any, need to have registration transferred to the ASF.

> Tested links today.
>
> http://www.testopenoffice.org  all links here could be placed in a special place on the home page in a section called (for example) 'how you can contribute'.  One of the links is http://projects.testopenoffice.org/native-lang.html

This will likely go away.

> http://openoffice2009.com/  "Firefox can't find the server at www.openoffice2009.com"
>
> http://openoffice-gratuit.com/  "Firefox can't find the server at www.openoffice-gratuit.com"
>
> http://openoffice-pt.com/ "Firefox can't find the server at www.openoffice-pt.com"
>
> I shan't test any more pages.

Back in August I tested all of them. Since most of these domains were taken from individuals who were abusing openoffice.org, it looks like nothing was ever done other than shut them down.

A few have actual websites, but only one is truly unique - openoffice.org.il

We've had bigger issues, but eventually we will do something to properly redirect these domains whether they are kept or not. This will come after the openoffice.org website is migrated to the ASF.

> With regard to languages other than English, links to these pages could be placed on the home page and on the download page.

The new openoffice.org is coming together on Apache Infrastructure. More details next week.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Terry,

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
The only list I could find on gmane is ooo-dev and I couldn't get the old threaded view.  From memory, I had to move through the list one message at a time.  The marketing list exists, however.

Regards, Terry

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
>>  2011.10.28. 5:37 keltezéssel, David H. Lipman írta:
>>>  From: "Terry"<te...@yahoo.com.au>

> topic of re-branding is being discussed there.  <snip>  If you

<snip>

>>>  I don't see a ooo marketing group on GMane.
>>>

>>  It is not archived in gmane, only in apche and markmail, see:
>>

> Then the suggestions can stay HERE.
>
> --
> Dave
> Multi-AV Scanning Tool - http://multi-av.thespykiller.co.uk
> http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Just to let you know that the bouncing problem has been overcome.

Regards, Terry

Re: [Proposal] Change in Apache OpenOffice.org Branding...

Posted by "David H. Lipman" <DL...@Verizon.Net>.
From: "Reizinger Zolt�n" <zr...@hdsnet.hu>

Posted by Reizinger Zoltán <zr...@hdsnet.hu>.
2011.10.28. 5:37 keltezéssel, David H. Lipman írta:
> From: "Terry"<te...@yahoo.com.au>
>
>> Hi, floris
>>

>> I mistook David's email as one on the marketing mail list.  The topic of re-branding is
>> being discussed there.  I was about to suggest people subscribe to that list but I
>> noticed
>> while composing this reply that an email I sent to the list has just been bounced.  If
>> you
>> want to subscribe notwithstanding, the address to subscribe is
>> ooo-marketing-subscribe@incubator.apache.org
>> Regards, Terry
>>
>> P.S.  I forwarded the mailer-daemon email to the marketing list's owner and that also
>> has
>> now bounced.
>>

> I don't see a ooo marketing group on GMane.

It is not archived in gmane, only in apche and markmail, see:

Zoltan

Re: [Proposal] Change in Apache OpenOffice.org Branding...

Posted by "David H. Lipman" <DL...@Verizon.Net>.
From: "Terry" <te...@yahoo.com.au>

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
Thanks, Rob.  Yes, I was able to send yesterday but messages are being bounced today.Regards, Terry
P.S.  Sorry about emailing you personally.  That should not have happened and I don't know why it did.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
Hi, floris

I mistook David's email as one on the marketing mail list.  The topic of re-branding is being discussed there.  I was about to suggest people subscribe to that list but I noticed while composing this reply that an email I sent to the list has just been bounced.  If you want to subscribe notwithstanding, the address to subscribe is ooo-marketing-subscribe@incubator.apache.org

Regards, Terry

P.S.  I forwarded the mailer-daemon email to the marketing list's owner and that also has now bounced.

 2011 1:44 AM

Posted by floris v <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.

Posted by "David H. Lipman" <DL...@Verizon.Net>.
From: "Michael Acevedo" <ve...@yahoo.com>

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
Sorry, a typo in the address.  It should be:

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.