Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by "Wallis, Simon (Toronto - 22 Front)" <Si...@cibc.ca> on 2002/01/29 22:09:49 UTC

WSDL?

Hi there,

I'm just learning how to use SOAP. I've deployed a simple "Hello World" web
service on Tomcat using the Apache SOAP toolkit, and I'm trying to create a
simple VB app or ASP page that will consume this service (ie., just call it
and display "Hello World").

The problem is that the MS SOAP toolkit keeps talking about needing the WSDL
file for the service you want to consume. I understand that WSDL files
describe the service being offered, but the Apache toolkit deployment docs
("Writing RPC Services") don't even mention these files at all.

The "Writing RPC Clients" doc only mentions "you can either look at a WSDL
file (or at some other interface definition format) for the service, or
directly at its implementation." But it doesn't say where this WSDL file
comes from! So I'm quite confused.

1) Is WSDL a Microsoft-only thing?
2) How does one generate these files?
3) Are these files always needed when offering a web service via SOAP?

Thanks,
Simon.

RE: WSDL?

Posted by Tony Hong <th...@xmethods.net>.
To add to what Anne is saying here....

>From a practical standpoint, many toolkits out there - some *very* widely
used - strictly require WSDL files for client configuration / proxy
generation, so although WSDL is not required by the SOAP protocol per se, if
you are interested in having your service reachable from as wide an audience
as possible, providing a WSDL description is HIGHLY recommended.  If that's
not a concern, and you know exactly who is supposed to be consuming your
service and what they are using, then of course you are free to communicate
the technical interface details as you see fit.

XMethods has a policy that all services have WSDL descriptions, which we
validate on submission with some integrity checks.  Having that WSDL ensures
that the listings are as useful as possible - those that have toolkits that
require WSDL have it without exception, those that don't still benefit
because they can derive the technical details in a consistent, standardized
manner.

regards,
Tony

Re: WSDL?

Posted by John Mani <jo...@sixthdimension.com>.
> There is a more basic problem here....
> Actually generally web-services architecture doesnt have a notion of
session
> maintenance.
> so calling 'open' before 'action' sort of doesnt make sense in case of
> web-services.

The SOAP protocol doesn't yet have such a concept, however an application
could certainly
layer this on top. Like building 'state' into HTTP - which is basically
stateless ...

I suspect as more complex webservices get developed and deployed, this will
become more relevant ..

-john

Re: WSDL?

Posted by John Mani <jo...@sixthdimension.com>.

RE: WSDL?

Posted by Gary Feldman <ga...@rtr.com>.
I was only pointing out something that I think all programmers know,
but then tend to forget when it's their job to do it (myself
included).  And that's that it's rarely easy to use an interface
properly based only on the function signatures, whether those
signatures are JavaDoc based or WSDL based (and notwithstanding the
fact that the SOAP documentation doesn't have much beyond those signatures).

Maybe it's just my way of letting off steam, because of my frustration
that the SOAP kit docs and samples have virtually no information on
constructing headers.

Gary

                  Ready-to-Run Software, Inc.
              The Industry's Leading Provider of
              Cross-Platform and Porting Services
                 *****************************
email: gaf@rtr.com                 Gary Feldman
fax  : 1-978-692-5401              Ready-to-Run Software, Inc.
voice: 1-978-251-5431              11 School Street
www  : http://www.rtr.com          North Chelmsford, MA 01863
                                                     USA

RE: WSDL?

Re: WSDL?

Posted by Paramdeep Singh <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Gary,

> Let's not overstate things.  It provides enough information to
> generate proxy signatures.  It doesn't provide complete
> information for technically correct use of the web service.

WSDL does provide enough information to invoke functions of any web-service.
And the main benefit is that this is a standard, so that everybody who
understands this
standard knows how to call the functions.

If you wanted to convey any specific information, then you can use the
documentation tag for that purpose.

> For example, as far as I know it doesn't have any
> formal mechanism for specifying constraints in order of
> method invocation.

Again you could use the documentation tag for that purpose.

> Thus there is no way I know to formally
> specify, in WSDL, that you must invoke the "open"
> method before invoking the "action" method.

There is a more basic problem here....
Actually generally web-services architecture doesnt have a notion of session
maintenance.
so calling 'open' before 'action' sort of doesnt make sense in case of
web-services.

With Warm Regards,
Paramdeep

Re: WSDL?

Posted by Paramdeep Singh <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Gary,

RE: WSDL?

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
Gary,

Okay. Perhaps I am overstating things a little bit. WSDL doesn't
describe semantic information.  It doesn't describe application
semantics (e.g., you must call "open" before "action"). It doesn't
describe business semantics (payment terms, service level agreements,
etc.). It doesn't describe security, routing, and transaction
semantics (although it may describe how to represent security,
routing and transaction information in the header).

But WSDL does tell you everything you need to know to construct a
SOAP message and send it to its target. And it does so in a
machine-readable format so that a tool can generate the code
necessary to make it happen.

Best regards,
Anne

RE: WSDL?

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
Gary,

RE: WSDL?

Posted by Tony Hong <th...@xmethods.net>.
To add to what Anne is saying here....

RE: WSDL?

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.

RE: WSDL?

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.

Re: WSDL?

Posted by Aczel Csilla <ac...@freemail.hu>.
> 3) Are these files always needed when offering a web service via SOAP?

WSDL files are very useful if you want to publish your web service into some
UDDI registry.

BR,
Csilla

Re: WSDL?

Posted by Aczel Csilla <ac...@freemail.hu>.

Re: WSDL?

Posted by Paramdeep Singh <ma...@yahoo.com>.
> 3) Are these files always needed when offering a web service via SOAP?

No, these files are NOT always needed. WSDL files are like IDL files, so
they describe, what you want to offer. In case your user knows what you
offer, and how he can invoke your service, this file is NOT needed.

If you are using MS-SOAP toolkit, then it is always convinient to use WSDL
files.

In case you are not interested in generating WSDL files, you can use Low
Level API's that MS-SOAP toolkit provides to invoke the service.

With Warm Regards,
Paramdeep

Re: WSDL?

Posted by Paramdeep Singh <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Re: WSDL?

Posted by Raghavan Srinivasan <ra...@iplanet.com>.
sorry the URL should have read www.themindelectric.com

Re: WSDL?

Posted by Raghavan Srinivasan <ra...@iplanet.com>.

Re: WSDL?

Posted by Raghavan Srinivasan <ra...@iplanet.com>.

  Glue from MindElectric (www.mindelectric.com) is a good Java WSDL

Re: WSDL?

Posted by Raghavan Srinivasan <ra...@iplanet.com>.

RE: WSDL?

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
W3C has just started an activity to standardize WSDL. (finally!!) The
announcement came out last Saturday.

Anne

RE: WSDL?

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.

Re: How to call a web service from a web app or html page

Posted by akshay saluja <ak...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Paco

I could not understand ur question when you can use
Call to call the method from an applet client then u
can return the response of the soap service to ur
applet method which u can access through the
JavaScript code.If you want some more details as to
how you can make a Call to a web service from ur
client then i can help u Do let me know

Bye
Akshay Saluja

http://sports.yahoo.com

Re: How to call a web service from a web app or html page

Posted by akshay saluja <ak...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Paco

http://sports.yahoo.com

Re: How to call a web service from a web app or html page

Posted by Paco Avila <fa...@gridsystems.com>.
Hi, you can user SOAP from an applet in a web page. You can access the
applet methos from JavaScript. I have been using kSOAP which is a very small
SOAP implementation and works fine.

Also you can find a SOAP implementatin in JavaScript but only works in
Explorer.
--
GRIDSYSTEMS                   Francisco Jose Avila Bermejo
Parc Bit - Son Espanyol        Responsable Área Desarrollo
07120 Palma de Mallorca     favila@gridSystems.com
Baleares - España              Tel:+34-971435085 Fax:+34-971435082
ww.gridsystems.com

Posted by Jeff Corliss <je...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you so much for such a detailed response. :)
Jeff

http://sports.yahoo.com

RE: How to call a web service from a web app or html page

Posted by Jeff Corliss <je...@yahoo.com>.

http://sports.yahoo.com

RE: How to call a web service from a web app or html page

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
Jeff,

Essentially you need to write a SOAP client application that will call the
SOAP service. You just need to figure out where you want to run that SOAP
client application. Possible options:
- as a script within the HTML page (e.g., JavaScript, VBScript, ECMAScript,
etc)
- as an applet within the HTML page
- as a server script (e.g., CGI script)
- as a server application (e.g., servlet or JSP)

Once you've made this decision, you then need to determine which SOAP client
implementation supports your requirements.

Microsoft, Systinet, and others provide SOAP clients for IE. Systinet WASP
supports applet clients. There are a host of SOAP client libraries for Perl,
Python, PHP, Ruby, and other popular CGI script languages. And there are
more than a dozen Java SOAP implementations (including of course Apache SOAP
and Apache Axis) that you can use to build a servlet/JSP client.

For a list of SOAP implementations, see
http://www.soapware.org/directory/4/implementations or
http://www.xmethods.com/ve2/ViewImplementations.po

I'm assuming that your web service has been written with Apache SOAP, so you
want to make sure that the client you choose supports interoperability with
Apache SOAP. For interoperability information, see
http://www.whitemesa.com/interop.htm. The Apache SOAP/Axis results from
these interop tests are available at
http://www.apache.org/~rubys/ApacheClientInterop.html. A new set of interop
tests will be conducted this week (Wed and Thur).

Best regards,

Anne Thomas Manes
CTO, Systinet
www.systinet.com

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
Jeff,

Posted by Jeff Corliss <je...@yahoo.com>.

http://sports.yahoo.com

How to call a web service from a web app or html page

Posted by Jeff Corliss <je...@yahoo.com>.

http://sports.yahoo.com

How to call a web service from a web app or html page

Posted by Jeff Corliss <je...@yahoo.com>.
Hi all,

http://auctions.yahoo.com

How to call a web service from a web app or html page