Posted to builds@apache.org by David Delabassee <da...@oracle.com> on 2022/08/23 14:34:06 UTC

Re: [External] : Re: JDK 19 first Release Candidates!

Hi Martin,

Unless I miss something, this pattern is not new. Those hash codes are
embedded in URL for all builds, except for EA builds, for some time.

- 19b32 was an EA build so their URLs didn't embed a hash
- 19b36 is a RC1 build so their URLs embed a hash
-  the current JDK 18 GA build on Linux/Arm64 URL has a hash too,
https://download.java.net/java/GA/jdk18.0.2.1/db379da656dc47308e138f21b33976fa/1/GPL/openjdk-18.0.2.1_linux-aarch64_bin.tar.gz

Or is it something else?

Regards,

--David

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi David,

My feedback is that this inconsistency makes it hard to automate the
testing and the upgrades.
The hash makes it even harder. Instead of replacing a number in a template
string one has to parse the HTML...

If the url of an EA could be without the hash then I don't see a problem
the RC to use the same implementation.

I remember the same discussion with adoptjdk urls in the past. IIRC SDK_MAN
project reported the inconvenience and adoptjdk/temurin improved it.
We also use Temurin for stable releases and it is easy now.

I hope java.net improves the usability too.

P.S. the CC-ed email (jdk-download-help_ww@oracle.com) seems to
non-existing. It is listed as contact email address on the download pages
at java.net

Regards,
Martin