Posted to users@maven.apache.org by fenallen <fe...@gmx.net> on 2005/07/05 13:39:15 UTC

classes packed into jar files inside war artifact

Hi,

I notice that this jira issue http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPWAR-30
addresses the issue of placing java classes within jar files when
building a .war artifact rather than the Maven default of using the
WEB-INF/classes directory.

This is a feature I would very much like to see.  I have a multiproject
webapp setup already and therefore do not want to complicate things
further for such a (on the face of it) simple feature.  I can, of course
use the patch provided in jira and hack the jelly into my maven.xml but
it could be more elegant....

My question:   Is this included in the 1.1 release and will it be
included in the final 2.0 release?

Thanks, Allen.

Re: classes packed into jar files inside war artifact

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
On 7/6/05, fenallen <fe...@gmx.net> wrote:
> That's a real shame in my opinion.  I think your comment on the jira
> issue about balancing the 'Maven way' with just being plain awkward
> really hits the nail on the head.

Please read the other threads and the rest of the JIRA. I'm relying on
memory here, but I think there were downsides to doing this other than
just adding unnecessary complexity. Again, we're not deliberately
being awkward, but trying to avoid 99% suffer pain for the 1% who are
doing it differently (%'s may be exaggerated :) Featuritis has hurt
Maven's plugins badly in the past.

> This concerns me also with the maven.xml removal in M2 and forcing a
> plugin only procedure.  In my mind this makes the development of a new
> build system for a project significantly more hassle.  Not much on each
> iteration perhaps but when all the iterations are taken together...

Again, a little extra pain there makes everything else much simpler -
you win it back in portability, consitency and reusability. And it is
a little - assuming maven.xml was a one file plugin script, the pom is
probably 6 lines. So a 6 line file, and an extra subdirectory is the
price - not bad at all. Many Maven 1 users that have retained their
sanity by already doing it this way, still finding it worth it for
those benefits even though it was not as trivial in that environment.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,
Brett

Re: classes packed into jar files inside war artifact

Posted by fenallen <fe...@gmx.net>.
Jamie Bisotti wrote:

>That patch is not currently included anywhere; I think it still needs
>some work to make it "production ready".  Also, there doesn't seem to
>be all that much support for it, so I wouldn't count on it being
>included anytime soon.

Thanks for the reply Jamie.

Posted by Jamie Bisotti <jb...@gmail.com>.

On 7/5/05, fenallen <fe...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I notice that this jira issue http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPWAR-30
> addresses the issue of placing java classes within jar files when
> building a .war artifact rather than the Maven default of using the
> WEB-INF/classes directory.
>
> This is a feature I would very much like to see.  I have a multiproject
> webapp setup already and therefore do not want to complicate things
> further for such a (on the face of it) simple feature.  I can, of course
> use the patch provided in jira and hack the jelly into my maven.xml but
> it could be more elegant....
>
> My question:   Is this included in the 1.1 release and will it be
> included in the final 2.0 release?
>
> Thanks, Allen.

Jamie Bisotti
Software Engineer