Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jan Haderka <ja...@magnolia-cms.com> on 2012/11/29 09:44:09 UTC

issues fixed by nobody?

Hiya,

there appears to be fair number of issues in JR that were fixed by "unassigned". Is this on purpose?

https://issues.apache.org/jira/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-printable/temp/SearchRequest.html?jqlQuery=project+%3D+JCR+AND+status+%3D+closed+and+assignee+is+null&tempMax=1000

Cheers,
Jan

Re: issues fixed by nobody?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Jan Haderka
<ja...@magnolia-cms.com> wrote:
> ...What does it mean if the issue is unassigned by the time when it was
> closed?...

IMO it usually just means that whoever fixed the issue forgot to
assign it to themselves.

The PMC as a whole takes responsibility for issues anyway, someone
fixing an issue does not imply that they will be in charge of that
issue or component for ever, so "assigned to" is only really useful
when an issue is open, for someone to indicate that they're working on
it.

-Bertrand

Re: issues fixed by nobody?

Posted by Jan Haderka <ja...@magnolia-cms.com>.
On Nov 29, 2012, at 9:57 AM, Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Jan Haderka
> <ja...@magnolia-cms.com> wrote:
>> Hiya,
>>
>> there appears to be fair number of issues in JR that were fixed by "unassigned". Is this on purpose?
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-printable/temp/SearchRequest.html?jqlQuery=project+%3D+JCR+AND+status+%3D+closed+and+assignee+is+null&tempMax=1000
>
> FWIW: they were not 'assigned' to a particular user, that doesn't mean
> they were fixed by 'unassigned'.
> the user who resolved the issue can be found in the issue's history.

Yeah, I know. I should have perhaps phrased the question better, sorry about that.

For what purpose do you use the assignee? Is it just to nominate the person to fix the issue or the person who should manage the process or something else? What does it mean if the issue is unassigned by the time when it was closed? It is that it was spontaneous fix made by developer and was unmanaged/unplanned or that no one in particular feels responsibility for it or something else?

Thx.

Re: issues fixed by nobody?

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
<ja...@magnolia-cms.com> wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> there appears to be fair number of issues in JR that were fixed by "unassigned". Is this on purpose?
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-printable/temp/SearchRequest.html?jqlQuery=project+%3D+JCR+AND+status+%3D+closed+and+assignee+is+null&tempMax=1000

FWIW: they were not 'assigned' to a particular user, that doesn't mean
they were fixed by 'unassigned'.
the user who resolved the issue can be found in the issue's history.

cheers
stefan