Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Ian Clelland <ic...@google.com> on 2013/11/01 03:24:25 UTC

Re: Chromeview has arrived in Android 4.4!!!!

Joe -- I'm not sure what you mean -- it's definitely mentioned on
http://developer.android.com/about/versions/kitkat.html -- was there a more
definitive docs location you were hoping for?

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 10:37 PM, Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 10:24 PM, Ian Clelland <ic...@google.com>
> wrote:
> > Joe -- I'm not sure what you mean -- it's definitely mentioned on
> > http://developer.android.com/about/versions/kitkat.html -- was there a
> more
> > definitive docs location you were hoping for?
> >

> That's a relief.  I am pulling the KitKat source now.  (TIP: Don't do
> Android Source Dev and Chromium Dev on the same box, both use repo,
> but different versions)
>
> My main fear was that only Google devices would get KitKat WebView and
> that AOSP would get nothing, similar to how AOSP apparently doesn't
> have a Gallery or a default SMS client anymore.  There are rumours
> that AOSP no longer has a dialer, but that would be batshit insane,
> since that would mean that it'd be next to impossible to make phone
> calls on AOSP. :(
>
> Also, I heard that the Galaxy Nexus wasn't getting KitKat, which makes
> no sense since the story was about supporting older hardware.  No idea
> what older hardware means, to be honest.  Technically my HTC One is
> "Older" than the Nexus 5.

It is about supporting 512m of ram, specifically, so that less expensive
new devices can still target new versions of Android instead of requiring
gingerbread.

I'm not sure about the specific story for galaxy nexus, but have also heard
rumour that i wont be supported.  I imagine they tried and couldn't for
some good technical reason.

Posted by Ben Combee <be...@gmail.com>.
I did notice that they're using the API level of the app to enable a
"quirks mode", I assume to emulate some bugs of the earlier WebKit-based
webview.  You have to be API level 19 (4.4) in order to fully get the
Chrome goodness.  More at
http://developer.android.com/guide/webapps/migrating.html.

Posted by Jonathan Bond-Caron <jb...@gdesolutions.com>.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.