Posted to general@logging.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/04 20:19:50 UTC

Logging Wikis

Hello all,

it seems we have many wiki instances for logging (every subproject has
one). Does this really make sense? I remember there was a discussion
on it somewhere in the past, but i am not sure. Now I am doubting if
the multiple wikis really make sense or if we should have a single
wiki for all.

Wdyt?

Cheers
Christian

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Logging Wikis

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Aug 5, 2012, at 10:17 PM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On 2012-08-06, Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> I we do this I suggest we come up with a page naming convention so
>> that they are still logically separate.
>
> +1
>
> In Moin page names can contain slashes so they look as if they were
> contained inside a subdirectory.  Something like
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4php/TODO
>
> would become
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/logging/log4php/TODO
>
> by naming the page log4php/TODO

I like this a lot.

Ralph

Re: Logging Wikis

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.
On 6 August 2012 07:17, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> In Moin page names can contain slashes so they look as if they were
> contained inside a subdirectory.  Something like
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4php/TODO
>
> would become
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/logging/log4php/TODO
>
> by naming the page log4php/TODO

+1

Sounds good to me. I can migrate the log4php wiki next week when I'm
back from vacation.

Ivan

Re: Logging Wikis

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2012-08-06, Ralph Goers wrote:

> I we do this I suggest we come up with a page naming convention so
> that they are still logically separate.

+1

In Moin page names can contain slashes so they look as if they were
contained inside a subdirectory.  Something like

http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4php/TODO

would become

http://wiki.apache.org/logging/log4php/TODO

by naming the page log4php/TODO

> The I would also suggest that each subproject should migrate its
> content as it can and then inform infra when the subproject wiki is no
> longer needed.

Actually I was surprised to read log4net had a wiki- we don't have one
linked from the website.  So if one exists it's content likely is
obsolete anyway.

Stefan

Re: Logging Wikis

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I we do this I suggest we come up with a page naming convention so that they are still logically separate.  The I would also suggest that each subproject should migrate its content as it can and then inform infra when the subproject wiki is no longer needed.

Ralph

Re: Logging Wikis

Posted by Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com>.
+1 to merging them.

Re: Logging Wikis

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Logging Wikis

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Aug 4, 2012, at 11:45 AM, Ivan Habunek wrote:

> On 4 August 2012 20:19, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> it seems we have many wiki instances for logging (every subproject has
>> one). Does this really make sense? I remember there was a discussion
>> on it somewhere in the past, but i am not sure. Now I am doubting if
>> the multiple wikis really make sense or if we should have a single
>> wiki for all.
>>
>> Wdyt?
>
> Well, if we were just setting up the wiki pages, I'd suggest we go
> with one wiki for all projects. But since it's already set up that
> each project has it's own wiki, I don't think it's worth changing it.
> After all, the subprojects have very little in common…

What Christian didn't say…

Infra has changed the main wiki to be ACL enabled which should reduce spam.  Each wiki will need administrators.  We can keep them separate but given the small size of the PMC it might be easier to just have one wiki.

Ralph

Re: Logging Wikis

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.
On 4 August 2012 20:19, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> it seems we have many wiki instances for logging (every subproject has
> one). Does this really make sense? I remember there was a discussion
> on it somewhere in the past, but i am not sure. Now I am doubting if
> the multiple wikis really make sense or if we should have a single
> wiki for all.
>
> Wdyt?

Well, if we were just setting up the wiki pages, I'd suggest we go
with one wiki for all projects. But since it's already set up that
each project has it's own wiki, I don't think it's worth changing it.
After all, the subprojects have very little in common...

Regards,
Ivan