Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com> on 2012/03/12 13:10:01 UTC

wiki and issue tracker access policy

Hi everyone,

A few people have asked me about issue tracker access privately in the
last few days and so I think it is time to look further into this.

Although I believe that this mailing list will remain the primary source
for discussion and decisions, I would be very much in favour of allowing
the issue tracker to be opened up so that people can at least raise tickets.

We need to decide how (or if) that can be done. As we don't particularly
want to see the wiki or ticket system being abused by bots, would it be
best to ask users to create accounts with a valid email address to allow
edit actions? And once they have greater access rights, are there any of
these rights that such a user should not have:
   * ticket creation
   * ticket modify
   * wiki page modify
   * wiki page create

Do we need to run these questions by the Apache infrastructure guys?

Cheers,
     Gary

Re: wiki and issue tracker access policy

Posted by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Hi,

We now have account self-registration for the Apache Bloodhound project
issue tracker at https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/register

The registration requires an email address to which a verification email
is sent. Just in case you are tempted to wait for the verification
email, I believe the email is actually sent on first login.

Posted by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 03/12/2012 05:10 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 12:51, Gary<ga...@wandisco.com>  wrote:
>> Should I assume that we can use an official apache smtp server for sending
>> email confirmation and other notification messages?
> Oh, certainly. I'd ask infra about that. I doubt the jails run an smtp
> server by default, but hey. Maybe so. There shouldn't be a problem
> just using a local MTA, but Bloodhound/Trac might only support SMTP??
> In any case, I don't see a problem with spinning up postfix within the
> jail, and listening to port 25 on 127.0.0.1 only.
>
> Cheers,
> -g

Well, from what I can tell we have the option of smtp or sendmail. I
don't have any worries about which we use but I am not certain about how
to setup sendmail appropriately.

I've attempted subscribing to the infra mailing list but I am still
waiting on that - I think I used the wrong email account yesterday so I
tried again this morning. Perhaps there is a better place to ask.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 03/12/2012 12:54 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
> I'd say an email is required. If a ticket needs info, you must have a way
> to reach the user.
>
>> And once they have greater access rights, are there any of these rights
>> that such a user should not have:
>>   * ticket creation
>>   * ticket modify
>>   * wiki page modify
>>   * wiki page create
> I'd say: give them all those, until problems arise.
>
>> Do we need to run these questions by the Apache infrastructure guys?
> Only if we expect the changes to cause problems, and I don't see that.
>
> Cheers,
> -g

OK, that sounds fine. If there are no complaints, I can try to
investigate how to set that up.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.