Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Abhijit Sarkar <ab...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/16 01:28:44 UTC

There are no dumb questions

During the time I've been on this mailing list, which is not long, I've
seen some very complex questions and some, lets just say, not so complex
ones. IMHO, when a question is sent to a large mailing group like this, the
author should demonstrate some reasonable troubleshooting effort. It'd be
nice to see what've they done before they sent out an email to hundreds, if
not thousands, of people. This, as we all know, is a purely volunteered
group. The folks on this list seem to be very helpful and I've not seen
them coming down hard on anyone. However, from my experience with some
major Internet forums, Oracle, JavaRanch or Spring Framework forums for
example, it is only a matter of time before the experts find themselves in
a pile of questions and wouldn't be able to help those that really need
answers.
What do you think?

Re: There are no dumb questions

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.
Compleltely agree. For basic questions that show no interest or effort, I refer users to sites like elance.com.

    When a user comes to a free site with a laundry list of items that they need "right away" or to "impress their boss" then I usually leave that community when this becomes too common.

    I get way too upset to stay...

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marco Shaw <ma...@gmail.com>.