Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by scragz <sc...@hotmail.com> on 2004/11/01 00:33:42 UTC

introduction and recovery help

Hi everyone, my name is Scragz. I've been using svn for about 6 months
or so and just found out about this list from "the book". So that leads
me straight into my problem :)

I have a few (~ 5) repositories that I'm trying to migrate to a new
machine after my last one suddenly died earlier this week. As far as I
can tell, I have everything pretty much set up the way it was before,
except any attempt to run subversion commands that deal with the
repository hang indefinitely. Other commands work, and I've
successfully made new repositories and checked in/out of them as a
test.

I've changed all the permissions which were initially giving me problems
and ran `svnadmin recover foo` like the book said (I'm now giving up on
it doing anything after 45 minutes). The only thing I have left to go
in is this:

> If the previous procedure, for some reason, does not successfully
> unwedge your repository, you should do two things. First, move your
> broken repository out of the way and restore your latest backup of it.
> Then, send an email to the Subversion user list (at
> <us...@subversion.tigris.org>) describing your problem in detail. Data
> integrity is an extremely high priority to the Subversion developers.

So any help would be great. My problem is that this *is* my latest (and
only) backup that I'm trying to recover. All of this is using version
1.0.9 on Debian unstable for amd64.

Could the migration from i386 to amd64 be causing problems? I thought
the DB files were pretty much platform agnostic.

I tried making a new repo with the same path and copying the old repo's
db/ files, and this make the new one break.

Thanks for any help you all can give.

--
scragz     http://scragz.com/

Re: introduction and recovery help

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
scragz wrote:
> Could the migration from i386 to amd64 be causing problems? I thought
> the DB files were pretty much platform agnostic.

They aren't. The BDB's binary layout can even change between BDB revisions.
Porting them between systems is generally not possible. You should not back
up the repository but dumpfiles thereof, as is described in The Book, too.

Your best chance would be to dumping your repos on an i386 machine, possibly
you could try it in a virtual machine, I heard amd64 still has ways to run
i386 binaries or somesuch, but I don't know for sure.

Uli

Re: introduction and recovery help

Posted by scragz <sc...@hotmail.com>.
Eric Ocean might have said:
> On Oct 31, 2004, at 4:33 PM, scragz wrote:
> > Could the migration from i386 to amd64 be causing problems? I
> > thought the DB files were pretty much platform agnostic.
>
> They're not platform agnostic (unfortunately). That could be causing
> your problem, I suppose.
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Ocean

That's the ticket. Moved them over to a x86 box and I was able to
recover and dump the repos for reimporting. Thanks for that, Eric.

--
scragz     http://scragz.com/