Posted to user@madlib.apache.org by mp...@pivotal.io on 2018/09/05 13:16:12 UTC

Re: Time consistency for DDL Available?

I don't believe there is any way to do this.  If you search for "postgresql
track ddl changes", you'll likely conclude that there is no simple way to
do this in postgresql.  There may be a way to do this but I think it will
require some non trivial amount of hand coding.    If others know
otherwise, please let us know.  MEP

Re: [gpdb-users] Re: Time consistency for DDL Available?

Posted by Andreas Scherbaum <as...@pivotal.io>.
In recent PostgreSQL versions, WAL contains enough information (if
"wal_level" is set to "logical") to decode the raw data back into queries.
That feature is called "Logical Decoding".

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/logicaldecoding-explanation.html
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Logical_Decoding_Plugins

There are several plugins available which can decode the streamed data back
into different formats. One of them is "decoder_raw" which generates SQL
queries which can be consumed by another PostgreSQL database.

This allows for filter out DDL changes, and ignore DML.

Regards,
Andreas

--

*Andreas Scherbaum*

*Principal Software Engineer*

GoPivotal Deutschland GmbH

<http://www.gopivotal.com/>Hauptverwaltung und Sitz
<http://www.gopivotal.com/>: Am Kronberger Hang 2a, 65824 Schwalbach/Ts.,
Deutschland

Amtsgericht Königstein im Taunus, HRB 8433
Geschäftsführer: Andrew Michael Cohen, Paul Thomas Dacier