Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org> on 2015/10/07 20:39:13 UTC

new committers!

Join me in welcoming Dylan Hutchison and Russ Weeks as new Apache Accumulo
committers and PMC members!  Dylan and Russ, feel free to tell us about
yourselves and your development interests.

Billie

Re: new committers!

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Welcome!

Re: new committers!

Posted by Adam Fuchs <af...@apache.org>.

Re: new committers!

Posted by Russ Weeks <rw...@newbrightidea.com>.
Hey, Folks!

I'm based in Vancouver, BC. My background is in networking and network
management - I used to do transport network management (MPLS-TP, 802.1q) at
Ericsson and prior to that, network and systems management at Cray
Supercomputers. I'd say my primary areas of interest right now are around
functional programming and distributed data structures and algorithms.

I first encountered Accumulo in early 2014 when my company was looking for
a secure, consistent, scalable storage system for health care records. I'd
say I have a pretty good understanding of how Accumulo's public API works,
but I'm definitely keen to understand more of what's happening under the
covers!

Looking forward to working with you all,
-Russ

Re: new committers!

Posted by Jeremy Kepner <ke...@ll.mit.edu>.
Congrats to both of you Dylan and Russ!

Re: new committers!

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: new committers!

Posted by Dylan Hutchison <dh...@apache.org>.
Hi everyone!  I just moved from the MIT Lincoln Laboratory to begin a PhD
program at the University of Washington.  My child project for most this
year is Graphulo <https://github.com/Accla/graphulo>-- a Java Accumulo
library that uses Accumulo iterators as matrix math primitives for graph
analytics.

I'm interested in improving iterators and their processing in tablet
servers.  Some iterator ideas are outlined in ACCUMULO-3751
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACCUMULO-3751>.  I've also had an
interest in HTrace and have some ideas about improving the trace table's
presentation in the Accumulo Monitor.

At UW I am interested in "polystore query optimization" (a polystore is a
kind of federated system that involves many database system backends and
frontend languages).  I aim to use Accumulo as part of this polystore
research.  The current step I'm thinking about is the mathematical middle
layer: how traditional relational algebra relates to Accumulo's operations
and to linear algebra algorithms.

Cheers, Dylan