Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Michael Armida <ma...@radarblue.com> on 2004/03/09 06:29:34 UTC

Performance and linux-win interoperability probs

Hello SVN land,

Got SVN up and running, works beautifully in most circumstances.
Unfortunately, all those not-so-beautiful circumstances involve my work.
  There, we have SVN running via Apache on a Fedora Core / 1 box.
Clients are all WinXP Pro, checking out onto a Win 2003 Server via
windows "mapped drives."  Project contains about 2-3k files; after SVN
is done, it contains 7.6k files.  Now for the comparisons:

- Checking out locally on the Linux server is blindingly fast.
- Checking out from a WinXP workstation onto that local machine is decent.
- Checking out from a WinXP workstation onto the Win 2003 server is
horrifically slow (as in hours and hours to complete).
- Checking out from the Win 2003 server onto its own local drive is
about as fast as that for the WinXP workstations.

Any ideas about how I might improve the speed for the WinXP workstation
-> Win 2003 server checkout scenario?  And please, as much as I might
personally agree, I can't really entertain the "stop working on Windows"
suggestions.

We're considering checking out onto that same Linux server, and having
the Win 2003 server access the checkouts via another network drive.
Anybody have any experience with this or similar situations?

Thanks,
Michael

Re: Performance and linux-win interoperability probs

Posted by "C.A.T.Magic" <c....@gmx.at>.
Posted by Mike Mason <mg...@thoughtworks.net>.
C.A.T.Magic wrote:

>Consider a different use case:
>I'm using Cygwin (unix environment within windows),
>TortoiseSVN from within windows explorer,
>a Linux installation within a virtual machine (vmware),
>and sometimes switch between the Windows and a real
>Linux installation. They all share one disk partition
>'for code experiments'.
>The total amount of WC data is around 2GB. Its very nice
>to 'share' modifications between all this envoronments,
>instead of doing immediate checkin/checkout to the
>central server (I also have a very slow access to the central
>repos...) -- multiplying the 2G by 4 wc's and using
>checkin/checkout for every fix would slow me down
>quite a bit.

Well that's a fairly different use-case, since it's all one user's
working copy (you are the user). Are you having a problem with your
current setup? It seems sensible -- the only thing you might be able to
improve on is never actually rebooting to Linux. Can you trust the
VMware emulation?

You're right that committing changes "to yourself" doesn't make sense,
especially with a slow link to your repository. Have you thought about
svk? It sounds like it might do what you want.

Regards,
Mike.

Re: Performance and linux-win interoperability probs

Posted by "C.A.T.Magic" <c....@gmx.at>.
> > Got SVN up and running, works beautifully in most circumstances.
> > Unfortunately, all those not-so-beautiful circumstances involve my
> > work.  There, we have SVN running via Apache on a Fedora Core / 1 box.
> > Clients are all WinXP Pro, checking out onto a Win 2003 Server via
> > windows "mapped drives."  Project contains about 2-3k files; after SVN
> > is done, it contains 7.6k files.  Now for the comparisons:
> >
> > - Checking out locally on the Linux server is blindingly fast.
> > - Checking out from a WinXP workstation onto that local machine is
> > decent.
> > - Checking out from a WinXP workstation onto the Win 2003 server is
> > horrifically slow (as in hours and hours to complete).
> > - Checking out from the Win 2003 server onto its own local drive is
> > about as fast as that for the WinXP workstations.
> >
> > Any ideas about how I might improve the speed for the WinXP
> > workstation -> Win 2003 server checkout scenario?  And please, as much
> > as I might personally agree, I can't really entertain the "stop
> > working on Windows" suggestions.
>
> How about checking out to the local drive for each workstation? Why are
> the WCs on a shared network drive? If it's for backups, I'd
> tongue-in-cheekly suggest your developers check in more often -- that's
> the wonderful thing about version control, you only have to back up a
> central repository. I'm developing on a large, enterprise project, and
> whilst we're not using Subversion everyone has a personal WC on their
> own machine -- no network shares to worry about.
>
> Second question -- how often do you check out as opposed to updating? Is
> update/status slow too? That's the more common operation.

Consider a different use case:
I'm using Cygwin (unix environment within windows),
TortoiseSVN from within windows explorer,
a Linux installation within a virtual machine (vmware),
and sometimes switch between the Windows and a real
Linux installation. They all share one disk partition
'for code experiments'.
The total amount of WC data is around 2GB. Its very nice
to 'share' modifications between all this envoronments,
instead of doing immediate checkin/checkout to the
central server (I also have a very slow access to the central
repos...) -- multiplying the 2G by 4 wc's and using
checkin/checkout for every fix would slow me down
quite a bit.

EUR 0.02
:-)
c.a.t.

Re: Performance and linux-win interoperability probs

Posted by Mike Mason <mg...@thoughtworks.net>.
[cc'd back to the list -- please try to include the list in your reply,
helps other people find the discussion later]

Michael Armida wrote:

> Hi, Mike,
>
> Inline responses below.
>
>> How about checking out to the local drive for each workstation? Why
>> are the WCs on a shared network drive? If it's for backups, I'd
>> tongue-in-cheekly suggest your developers check in more often --
>> that's the wonderful thing about version control, you only have to
>> back up a central repository. I'm developing on a large, enterprise
>> project, and whilst we're not using Subversion everyone has a
>> personal WC on their own machine -- no network shares to worry about.
>

> We're a web development firm caught between a zillion different
> platforms and servers; because of the limitations of the non-server
> IIS and the general desirability to have all development on the same
> platform as is on the server, we run a Win 2003 server for our Cold
> Fusion sites.  Thus, when we were previously working with CVS, we
> would simply run a checkout over a network drive onto that machine;
> the web server would then run one website per project per developer.
>
> Local checkouts would certainly be desirable, however, the problem is
> that absolute paths then have to be mapped back from the server to the
> workstation.  The wonderful windows world of drive letters is
> restrictively small for (developers * projects) number of WCs.

Is it possible to have the Cold Fusion machine mount the developer
workstations and thus keep the working copies local? (i.e. have lots of
mounts *onto* the CF box).

>> Second question -- how often do you check out as opposed to updating?
>> Is update/status slow too? That's the more common operation.
>

> Fairly often, as there are about 15 different projects, and people
> constantly hopping between projects.

That kind of implies you're deleting your working copies -- can you
avoid deleting them? Disk space is cheap, right? Checkout is a big
operation, update much more efficient.

Cheers,
Mike.

Re: Performance and linux-win interoperability probs

Posted by Mike Mason <mg...@thoughtworks.net>.