Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/27 04:10:12 UTC

post alpha 1 entries in CHANGES.txt

I put a new changes entry after the alpha under the 4-Alpha release in CHANGES.txt for Solr.

I missed the discussion if there was one, but if we plan to have a CHANGES section for alphas and betas, let me know, and I'll move that entry when we start a new section.

We should add the next section soon if we are going to so it's clear what direction we are taking.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com

Re: post alpha 1 entries in CHANGES.txt

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
I think thats fine: basically the reason the RC has a revision # is
for purposes like this.

If the alpha vote succeeds, I would (myself, personally, my
responsibility) simply move this stuff under BETA in the branch.

The alternative is to actually make a proper branch for the beta, but
I personally think thats overkill on everyone else since its easy to
just deal with a rev #.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
A lightweight method is to create a TAG in SVN for each RC and also for ALPHA and BETA, and then cut a branch when releasing 4.0.0
Regarding CHANGES, it should have full-blown sections for 4.0.0-ALPHA and 4.0.0-BETA, but for e.g. 4.0.0-BETA-RC2 it should be enough with a marker line in CHANGES.TXT to indicate which issues are included before and after the RC. That way we can build and tag RC's often with little effort, and when the final release is done, these marker lines can be removed if we wish.

For ALPHA/BETA I think we should also add a new section to CHANGES.TXT to highlight known major issues which are still blockers for final release.

This is how it could look like:

==================  4.0.0-ALPHA ==================
:
:
IMPORTANT: This is not a final release and we encourage you to use the latest stable release for production use.

Known critical issues in this ALPHA
-----------------------------------

* SOLR-YYYY: Index gets corrupted every monday :-)

Detailed Change List
----------------------

New Features

* SOLR-XXXX: Foo bar (myself)