Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by lello <rb...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/22 21:36:15 UTC

drag and drop not working

Hi all,

just noticed that the drag and drop example in the pivot website does not
work in Windows 7. It doesn't work in my application too. On Linux the same
code works fine. Is this a known problem?

RE: drag and drop not working

Posted by lello <rb...@gmail.com>.
Google Chrome,

but as I said I made a quick test using exactly the same code used in the
example but in a large application.
The program works in Linux but not in Windows 7.
I'll try to post the code I am using.

RE: drag and drop not working

Posted by Jérôme Serré <je...@gmail.com>.
Hello lello,

I have windows 7 x64 SP1 and FireFox 3.6.13 and drag & drop works fine.
Which browser are you using ?

RE: drag and drop not working

Posted by Jérôme Serré <je...@gmail.com>.
Yes with IE 9 RC java doesn't work :)
With safari there are some issues not very important but the memory increase
but never decrease !
Etc...

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@verizon.net>.
It is strange. Unfortunately, Pivot uses AWT's DnD support under the hood - so if there's a bug, it's probably there.

Re: drag and drop not working

Re: drag and drop not working

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@verizon.net>.
> Now I understand a bit better how drag and drop works. It turns out that
> this is a Google Chrome problem.

FWIW, I have not been able to get the DnD example to work in IE/Win7 either. But I haven't looked into it in any detail to find out why.

> When you drag and drop the manifest contains an empty FileList. It works
> fine if I try to DnD from firefox to my application, whether it is Linux of
> Windows 7. It would be nice to understand why Chrome as such a strange
> behaviour in Windows 7.

It is up to the source app to decide what data formats it exposes in a drag. It is odd that Chrome provides neither an image nor a file list - what happens when you drag the image to another app (e.g. the desktop)? Does it work?

Re: drag and drop not working

Re: drag and drop not working

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@verizon.net>.
OK.

In your app, see if the manifest contains something else besides an image. Maybe Windows 7, etc. drag a file list.

Re: drag and drop not working

Posted by lello <rb...@gmail.com>.
I should DnD from the browser to the app...

Re: drag and drop not working

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@verizon.net>.
Do you need to drag and drop images between your app and other apps, or just within your app? If it is just your app, you could return false from isNative() - that should work on all platforms.

Re: drag and drop not working

Posted by lello <rb...@gmail.com>.
Only image drag and drop.

Re: drag and drop not working

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@verizon.net>.
Are you doing image DnD in your app, or some other type of content?

Re: drag and drop not working

Re: drag and drop not working

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@verizon.net>.
Are you talking about this tutorial app?

http://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/drag-and-drop.html

If so, what specifically does not work?