Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/31 20:08:46 UTC

Idea: "AboutTapestry" page

I was just thinking about how to properly distribute licences (for
some third party dependencies, such as YUICompressor) ... what if
there was a core/AboutTapestry page, and a matching service.
Contributions to the service could describe the modules (such as
tapx-core) with a version number and any licence(s).  Hitting
AboutTapestry would automatically display (perhaps with an accordion
interface) all the details of the application in one place.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Idea: "AboutTapestry" page

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>.
>>  > Hitting
>>> AboutTapestry would automatically display (perhaps with an accordion
>>> interface) all the details of the application in one place.
>>
>> In my production deployment you'd have an about tapestry page?
>
> Yep, that a problem? :-)

:) Yeah, for my personal projects not so much, but I'm pretty sure the
product management team at work isn't going to appreciate that extra
bit of "functionality" sneaking in.

Re: Idea: "AboutTapestry" page

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.
I personally would not like that.

Re: Idea: "AboutTapestry" page

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Hitting
>> AboutTapestry would automatically display (perhaps with an accordion
>> interface) all the details of the application in one place.
>
> In my production deployment you'd have an about tapestry page?

Yep, that a problem? :-)

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was just thinking about how to properly distribute licences (for
>> some third party dependencies, such as YUICompressor) ... what if
>> there was a core/AboutTapestry page, and a matching service.
>> Contributions to the service could describe the modules (such as
>> tapx-core) with a version number and any licence(s).  Hitting
>> AboutTapestry would automatically display (perhaps with an accordion
>> interface) all the details of the application in one place.
>>
>> --
>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>>
>> Creator of Apache Tapestry

>> (971) 678-5210
>> http://howardlewisship.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Idea: "AboutTapestry" page

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Idea: "AboutTapestry" page

Posted by David Rees <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm starting to think this would be a very unpopular idea, about on
> par with having the apps phone home on startup.

Yep.  If considered it should default to off.  At which point I
wouldn't expect anyone to turn it on so why bother?

-Dave

Re: Idea: "AboutTapestry" page

Posted by Jonathan Barker <jo...@gmail.com>.
I think it might be nice to have in development, and perhaps even more
useful to know what contributed modules do not have license contributions.
 I'm usually concerned about licensing when I first consider using a module,
and don't think about it too much after that initial decision - which can be
an issue if the my project has similar functionality requirements but
different license requirements, or if there is a license change between
versions.

The maven dependency report is one of those things I should use, but really
don't, whereas a license page is easy to just "visit".

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm starting to think this would be a very unpopular idea, about on
> par with having the apps phone home on startup.
>
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 15:08:46 -0300, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I was just thinking about how to properly distribute licences (for
> >> some third party dependencies, such as YUICompressor) ... what if
> >> there was a core/AboutTapestry page, and a matching service.
> >> Contributions to the service could describe the modules (such as
> >> tapx-core) with a version number and any licence(s).  Hitting
> >> AboutTapestry would automatically display (perhaps with an accordion
> >> interface) all the details of the application in one place.
> >
> > I'm OK with that if it needs to be explicitly enabled.
> >
> > --
> > Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> > Independent Java, Apache Tapestry 5 and Hibernate consultant, developer,
> and
> > instructor
> > Owner, Ars Machina Tecnologia da Informação Ltda.
> > http://www.arsmachina.com.br
> >

> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>
> Creator of Apache Tapestry

> (971) 678-5210
> http://howardlewisship.com

Jonathan Barker
ITStrategic

Re: Idea: "AboutTapestry" page

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Idea: "AboutTapestry" page

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> I was just thinking about how to properly distribute licences (for
> some third party dependencies, such as YUICompressor) ... what if
> there was a core/AboutTapestry page, and a matching service.
> Contributions to the service could describe the modules (such as
> tapx-core) with a version number and any licence(s).  Hitting
> AboutTapestry would automatically display (perhaps with an accordion
> interface) all the details of the application in one place.

I'm OK with that if it needs to be explicitly enabled.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor
http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Re: Idea: "AboutTapestry" page

Posted by Joachim Van der Auwera <jo...@progs.be>.
On 03/31/2011 10:56 PM, Kalle Korhonen wrote:
> What's the value of having that available at runtime? I know you are
> not a fan of Maven, but I've always thought that the dependency report
> does a decent job explaining the dependencies, their sizes,
> relationships and licenses at build time.
If I understand it correctly, the problem is that many licenses require
a notice to be displayed in the application. Typically this is is either
output on the console or provided in a "about" dialog somewhere.

The way we handled this in Geomajas is to collect these messages from
all modules (using Spring) and both output them on the console at
startup and provide a service which can be queried for inclusion in the
about page.

Kind regards,
Joachim

Re: Idea: "AboutTapestry" page