Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by 6y...@snkmail.com on 2011/02/26 06:26:00 UTC

[classlib][nio] JDK 7 / WatchService support

Hi there,

I'm the author of jpathwatch (http://jpathwatch.wordpress.com), a library that implements the JDK 7 WatchService API, allowing Java programs to monitor directories without polling. It natively supports Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and OSX, with fallbacks for unsupported platforms and architectures.

jpathwatch supports JDK 5 and up, however, with JDK 7 jpathwatch will become somewhat obsolete (since JDK 7 obviously implements it's own WatchService API, together with the other nio2 features).

I'd be willing to donate jpathwatch to the Apache Harmony project. jpathwatch's API uses the same class interfaces and method signatures as the JDK7 WatchService API, it's only the package names that are different, which should be easy to change to fit into Harmony.
jpathwatch uses native libraries (implementing very thin wrappers around native OS functions), these will have to be integrated as well, which I think should also be quite trivial.

Please let me know if there's interest in such a donation.

Cheers,

Uwe

P.S.: Hope you don't mind the sneakemail address, I'm spam paranoid ;)

Re: [classlib][nio] JDK 7 / WatchService support

Posted by 6y...@snkmail.com.
Hi Regis,

I think the patch originator need to re-license the patch to APL v2,
> otherwise, the
> patch may not be taken.

I just got a response from Patrick Steele-Idem, the contributor of the
patch. He asks what's required and suggests this:

"I hearby state that my patch to the jpathwatch library is licensed
under APL v2 (Apache portable license [1])"

(where [1] is http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0)

Would that be enough? Where would he have to post this? On this mailing
list?

 From http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

> "Your use of this page (http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial (Last
> Updated 02/23/2011)) and all the material on pages under "The Java
> Tutorials" banner is subject to the Java SE Tutorial Copyright and License.
> Additionally, any example code contained in any of these Java Tutorials
> pages is licensed under the Code Sample License." [1]
>
> [1] http://developers.sun.com/license/berkeley_license.html
>
> It looks like BSD license, that is compatible with APL v2, but I'm not
> lawyer, can't 100% sure about this.

So who can we ask?

Cheers,

Uwe

Re: [classlib][nio] JDK 7 / WatchService support

Posted by Regis Xu <xu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ch...@k-embedded-java.com.

Posted by "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <fi...@gmail.com>.

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv

Re: [classlib][nio] JDK 7 / WatchService support

Posted by Ray Chen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jimmy,
Thank you for the information!
I have a question here, jpathwatch is in GPL license, can harmony use that?
I am not an legal expert, just curious.

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 12:35 AM, Jimmy,Jing Lv <fi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Uwe,
>
>      Welcome to Harmony community! It's very great news to us the Harmony
> Project! Thank you very much in advance!
>      Yes Harmony currently have no Java7 branch yet but we can quickly
> create one. With your code we have a big step towards jdk7 feature
> completion.
>      To contribute to Harmony, you may have to fill ACQ and ICLA, I suppose
> it won't be a big problem for you ( please refer:
> http://harmony.apache.org/contribution_policy.html). And as a bulk
> contribution, there is some process:
>
>   1. Will be donated via the project bug tracking system (JIRA) as a
>   contribution under the Apache License
>   2. Will be accompanied by a Software Grant or CCLA which will be
>   registered with the Apache Incubator
>   3. Will be registered in the Apache Harmony Bulk Contribution Repository
>   via a Bulk Contribution
> Checklist<http://harmony.apache.org/bulk_contribution_checklist.html>
>   4. Will be made by an Authorized Contributor to Harmony (defined above)
>
>      Please mail if you have any questions. Looking forwards your
> contribution. Let's cheer for this great time!
>
> 2011/2/26 <6y...@snkmail.com>
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'm the author of jpathwatch (http://jpathwatch.wordpress.com), a
> library
> > that implements the JDK 7 WatchService API, allowing Java programs to
> > monitor directories without polling. It natively supports Windows, Linux,
> > FreeBSD and OSX, with fallbacks for unsupported platforms and
> architectures.
> >
> > jpathwatch supports JDK 5 and up, however, with JDK 7 jpathwatch will
> > become somewhat obsolete (since JDK 7 obviously implements it's own
> > WatchService API, together with the other nio2 features).
> >
> > I'd be willing to donate jpathwatch to the Apache Harmony project.
> > jpathwatch's API uses the same class interfaces and method signatures as
> the
> > JDK7 WatchService API, it's only the package names that are different,
> which
> > should be easy to change to fit into Harmony.
> > jpathwatch uses native libraries (implementing very thin wrappers around
> > native OS functions), these will have to be integrated as well, which I
> > think should also be quite trivial.
> >
> > Please let me know if there's interest in such a donation.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Uwe
> >
> > P.S.: Hope you don't mind the sneakemail address, I'm spam paranoid ;)
> >

> --
>
> Best Regards!
>
> Jimmy, Jing Lv

Ray Chen

Re: [classlib][nio] JDK 7 / WatchService support

Posted by "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Uwe,