Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by How Can ThisBe <ho...@hotmail.com> on 2002/11/21 15:42:37 UTC

[users@httpd] Pages using 'look-back' feature w. forceType and symbolic links run twice

My site is running on Apache/1.3.26. Since July I have been using the apache
'look back' feature (not sure correct term for this - where it scans
backwards down the URL if it doesn’t find what it's looking for) with a
combination of forceType and symbolic links to allow me to use search engine
friendly URI like

http://onemoremonky.com/pics/chimp

to display an image from the pics gallery, rather than say
http://onemoremonky.com/pics.php?i=chimp

I am using forced type in my .htaccess file
<Files pics>
	ForceType application/x-httpd-php
</Files>

and making a symbolic link from pics to pics.php, then extracting the
variable/s from the $REQUEST_URI.

This seemed to be working well. Problem is on the server side it seems to be
processing the php page twice. In the php code I have a function to store
user information in a database with each page load.  I have recently noticed
that each page request to the pics section seems to be calling the php page
twice. So for instance,

http://onemoremonky.com/pics/chimp

is accessing this page then running again for

http://onemoremonky.com/pics/

Only the first page displays to the user and is logged in the access log but
the server side page counter shows a second call to
<http://onemoremonky.com/pics/> with the referer as
<http://onemoremonky.com/pics/chimp>.

Indeed if you call <http://onemoremonky.com/pics/> there is often a second
or third call to itself.

There are no redirects of any kind in the php script and presumably if this
was the culprit the page would actualy redirect. So it seems as if on the
server side the PHP page is processing redundantly. Is this a bug, how
'look-back' should be working or is my setup at fault.

Apologies for the long winded explanation. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated,