Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de> on 2004/03/08 20:40:34 UTC

[cocoon 2.2] JStyle

Hello Carsten,

you removed jstyle.jar some days ago during updating the licenses. Was
the removal by intention? Cocoon 2.2 does no longer compile
(JStyleFormatter.java). Has this styling ever been in use?

Joerg

Re: [cocoon 2.2] JStyle

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Stefano Mazzocchi dijo:
> We should move XSP in a block anyway.

+1 (And to any other technology that can be moved to a block from the core).

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [cocoon 2.2] JStyle

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.

--
Reinhard

Re: [cocoon 2.2] JStyle

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Ups, yes I thought it wasn't used and interestingly it did compile
> for me (even build clean did work). Now, I tested it again, and
> it doesn't compile anymore - which is obviously the correct thing.
> Strange!
>
> I don't know anything about JStyleFormatter. I will have a look
> and eventually readd jstyle.jar again.

It's used by XSP to prettify the generated source code.

I think it's a leftover from the past anyway.

Re: [cocoon 2.2] JStyle

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 09.03.2004 09:17, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Ok, actually the JStyleFormatter is not used, here is the part
> from the xconf:
>
>       <!-- Specifies which formatter to use to format source code.
>            This parameter is optional.
>            It is commented out because of bug #5689: Java "code-formatter"
>            incorrectly formats double values -->
>       <!--parameter name="code-formatter"
> value="org.apache.cocoon.components.language.programming.java.JstyleFormatte
> r"/-->

That was the reason for asking if it has been in use.

> Is anyone against removing this completly (at least from 2.2) and
> deprecating it in 2.1.x?

+1 especially as there is no place to get more recent versions of
jstyle. IIRC this thing has been renamed to astyle and ended completely
at the end.

After Jalopy was added I tried to write also a JalopyFormatter. But they
need something File-based (don't know what exactly, it was not the
file-to-be-formatted) and so I stopped it - I didn't want to patch
Jalopy first. Furthermore there is the issue of the forking of a
commercial version by the main developer Marco Hunsicker. Maybe it's
better to wait for a community development, not that they overtake
jstyle's fate ...

Joerg

Re: [cocoon 2.2] JStyle

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Ok, actually the JStyleFormatter is not used, here is the part
>from the xconf:
>
>      <!-- Specifies which formatter to use to format source code.
>           This parameter is optional.
>           It is commented out because of bug #5689: Java "code-formatter"
>           incorrectly formats double values -->
>      <!--parameter name="code-formatter"
>value="org.apache.cocoon.components.language.programming.java.JstyleFormatte
>r"/-->
>
>Is anyone against removing this completly (at least from 2.2) and
>deprecating it in 2.1.x?

Reminder: formatter was used to pretty-print generated XSP sources. I
think it can be removed.

Vadim

RE: [cocoon 2.2] JStyle

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.