Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2016/09/18 13:27:43 UTC

Use ecomseo on demo rather than ecommerce

Hi,

Maybe you don't know about or did not try it, but we have ecomseo a clone of the ecommerce component tailored for SEO

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Search+Engine+Optimisation,+SEO+in+ecommerce

I propose to use it as the default ecommerce demo. This mostly to somehow battle test it, even if I know it works well.

As it's based on ecommerce, users should not experience a big changes, apart the changed URLs

What do you think?

Jacques

Re: Use ecomseo on demo rather than ecommerce

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Michael,

Le 24/01/2017 � 22:21, Michael Brohl a �crit :
> Jacques,
>
> I must say that I don't like this action.
>
> I have re-read the discussion you had with Scott about this subject and also briefly read the discussions in
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-5312 (huge!).
>
> There were strong objections against this change. I must say the discussion in OFBIZ-5312 was not done very well on both sides in OFBIZ-5312. There
> were only standpoints and few attempts to really explain the functionality (existing vs. new) and lacks a documentation of what is changed and why.
> I also had the expression that there were several developers trying to stitch together artifacts from other projects, see mainly Oct. 2013.
>
> Despite Scott's objections against the use of ecomseo as the default ecommerce app and also no other voices to second your proposal, you changed the
> default. I cannot see why you asked for opinions and then act against the only opinion you get after a while?

After some months, I simply forgot Scott's answer a got ahead, human error.

> There was no reason to force this. Nothing was broken and there were also no voices who strongly wanted the change in the last months, if I recall
> correctly. The only thing you achieve might be confusing users who experience an ecommerce demo with different behaviour regarding URLs.

Did you try it? I believe users would prefer ecomseo against ecommerce/control/main, etc.

> I second Scott's approach to take the time to thoroughly analyze the different URL generation/"SEO" approaches in both implementations and merge
> them in a best-of-breed solution. That requires hard work in understanding everything and might take a while.

I also can agree on this

> Additionally, we should first have a catalogue of substantiated requirements and match them against these implementations.

Looking forward for help from the community

> You mentioned that there was work done with the consultation of a SEO expert. It would be great if he could give input about the requirements on
> which the ecomseo implementation was done.

I'll ask him

> I propose to revert this change and start over with the above mentioned steps first before anything is changed again.

Done for R16.11, I kept the trunk since I just added it and it's a good way to compare with stable

Jacques

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I'm all for that. Using ecomseo instead of ecommerce, I mean. But when I proposed so, Anil refused and I went with this solution. For details see
https://s.apache.org/UVqw

Actually as a diff between the 2 web.xml files shows there are also a bunch of other changes with the new filters and servlets, but yes that's pretty
much it.

Sincerely, it was "some" work to come to this accommodation as OFBIZ-5312 history shows. From the ilscipio team which Paul represent, Jinghai and I. I
also thanks Sebastian, Ingo and Josip, who helped in initial tests.

Jacques

Le 22/01/2017 � 23:03, Scott Gray a �crit :
> If there was a change to be made, it should have been to work on moving
> ecomseo into ecommerce.  There's not really any good reason for both of
> them to exist when the only differences between the webapps are the web.xml
> files.
>
> Regards
> Scott
>
> On 23 January 2017 at 10:44, Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>
> wrote:
>
>> OK, I'll answer your questions step by step. I just need time...
>>
>> Jacques
>>

>> Le 22/01/2017 � 22:01, Scott Gray a �crit :
>>
>>> 1. Ask for input
>>> 2. Get no responses except a -1
>>> 3. Wait for a few months

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
1. Ask for input

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 23/09/2016 � 01:15, Scott Gray a �crit :
> Well for me it's a -1 until I hear some positive reviews from other users
> (and ideally committers).

I think Christian (G/eisert/ ) can tell you more about the buchhandel.de site.

> I don't like having two ecommerce webapps and my
> preference would be to merge the two into one, but I can't promote that
> idea without any group consensus that the SEO approach is good and well
> architected.  A document describing the architecture would make that much
> easier and I'm amazed one wasn't supplied with the proposal, no wonder it
> sat there without much attention for so long.

Actually the idea is quite simple: with the functional expertise of a SEO consultant replace OFBiz original ecommerce filters and servlet by SEO
improved specific ones.

> But since one doesn't exist
> we'll just have to wait until people have time/care to review it and/or use
> it and provide feedback.

I don't think we need to explain the architecture, it's the same than for the ecommerce webapp, just the filters and servlet have changed

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks for your opinion

Jacques

Le 24/09/2016 � 06:20, Scott Gray a �crit :

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.
On 25 January 2017 at 17:57, Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>
wrote:

I guess you know that most of the spiders bots which are crawling the web
are not doing for the good of websites and users. Better to prevent them to
hurt in any way. OOTB the ecomseo webapp is better than the ecommerce on
this aspect.

Le 25/01/2017 à 03:56, Paul Foxworthy a écrit :

>> Are you saying that there are more differences between ecommerce and
>> ecomseo than just the format of the URLs, and that those other differences
>> lead to a security flaw in ecommerce? If that is right, shouldn't the flaw
>> be fixed in its own right, as a separate issue from the exact format of
>> URLs?
>>
>> Hi Paul,
>
> No it's not a security flaw, just that spiders will do a better job using
> ecomseo and there are other features.

Hi Jacques,

Can you outline what features are in ecomseo and not ecommerce? Are the
features of ecomseo a superset of those of ecommerce, or are there some
things in ecommerce but not ecomseo?

If there isn't a security flaw, what does ecomseo prevent?

I sincerely do want to understand the issues here, and I don't intend to
criticise anyone.

Thanks

Paul Foxworthy

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773

Phone: +61 3 9585 6788
Web: http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/
Email: info@coherentsoftware.com.au

Re: Use ecomseo on demo rather than ecommerce

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 25/01/2017 � 03:56, Paul Foxworthy a �crit :
> On 25 January 2017 at 07:12, Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>
> wrote:
>

>> I guess you know that most of the spiders bots which are crawling the web
>> are not doing for the good of websites and users. Better to prevent them to
>> hurt in any way. OOTB the ecomseo webapp is better than the ecommerce on
>> this aspect.
>>
> Are you saying that there are more differences between ecommerce and
> ecomseo than just the format of the URLs, and that those other differences
> lead to a security flaw in ecommerce? If that is right, shouldn't the flaw
> be fixed in its own right, as a separate issue from the exact format of
> URLs?
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

No it's not a security flaw, just that spiders will do a better job using ecomseo and there are other features.
I have asked Jonathan Schikowski on Tweeter https://twitter.com/schikowski?lang=fr who is the SEO expert I referred too if he can help me explain details

I'll also start a thread here

Jacque

Re: Use ecomseo on demo rather than ecommerce

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Was just a friendly information :)

Le 25/01/2017 � 22:11, Michael Brohl a �crit :

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
*sigh*

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Michael,

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Jacques,

inline...

Am 25.01.17 um 10:04 schrieb Jacques Le Roux:
> You are right, it's time to start a new thread, this one is now too
> confusing.
>
> Jonathan (Schikowski) just told me he will answer us today. I'll wait
> his answer to start this new thread. It will not be only about demos
> since it seems we are ready to discuss of that again.
It's a good approach to start with a fresh discussion and to collect the
requirements.

Starting from that, we should analyze what can be used from standard
OFBiz to meet these requirements, what's been missing and what should be
changed. I hope that Anil can help us there, he had a strong opinion in
the discussions of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-5312

We should also analyze the ecomseo approach and see what it adds to
solve the requirements. The original contributors might be of help to
explain why they have chosen this approach.

I'm in favor to stay as objective as possible to get the best out of the
contributions. A "my solution is better than yours" discussion does not
help.

We should also expect that it will take some time to collect and discuss
everything and should not force it to a quick solution. That won't help
either.

And we must be focused leaving out sidenotes or widening the topic too
far from the main topic. That will only lead to confusion and possibly
end discussions without result.

A wiki page might help to note and summarize the findings of the
conceptual work and to give contributors an overview (instead of digging
through a long email thread).

> Also I just stumbled upon this "Ecommerce Portal Enhancement" Rishi's
> message by chance http://markmail.org/message/i35qxjelze2x4sja.
>
> It shows there are interests in ecomseo and Rishi started with very
> useful elements I think and others added some also.
It's an interesting discussion but we should not pull it into this topic
(see above).

> Jacques

Regards,
Michael

Re: Use ecomseo on demo rather than ecommerce

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
You are right, it's time to start a new thread, this one is now too confusing.

Jonathan (Schikowski) just told me he will answer us today. I'll wait his answer to start this new thread. It will not be only about demos since it
seems we are ready to discuss of that again.

Also I just stumbled upon this "Ecommerce Portal Enhancement" Rishi's message by chance http://markmail.org/message/i35qxjelze2x4sja.

It shows there are interests in ecomseo and Rishi started with very useful elements I think and others added some also.

Jacques

Le 25/01/2017 � 09:29, Taher Alkhateeb a �crit :

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Taher,

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 25/01/2017 � 09:54, Jacopo Cappellato a �crit :
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 9:03 AM, Jacques Le Roux <
> jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, but some facts can't sometimes be avoided. Here I think they help
>> others to better understand ecomseo history.
>>
> Providing objective context information is useful; but some of your
> sentences didn't achieve that goal.
>
> Jacopo

Right! Humans make errors :)

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Jacopo,

Sorry, but some facts can't sometimes be avoided. Here I think they help others to better understand ecomseo history.

But you are right, better to focus on going ahead together.

For instance I really appreciate Paul's (Foxworthy) last answer on OFBIZ-5312 https://s.apache.org/fN7R, that's productive!

Jacques

Le 25/01/2017 � 08:23, Jacopo Cappellato a �crit :

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Jacques,

please see inline:

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 7:38 AM, Jacques Le Roux <
jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com> wrote:

> This argument looks more like a witch hunt to me.

[...]

> BTW, I don't see good practises in Hans's and Anil's answers

[...]

> Since then ilscipio has its fork[4][5] and will not contribute anything
> anymore, well done experts!

[...]

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Inline...

Le 24/09/2016 � 06:20, Scott Gray a �crit :
> You're asking for opinions and I can't give one without any knowledge of
> this feature so I'm simply telling you that the lack of documentation is a
> hindrance to evaluation and adoption. I took a quick look at SeoConfig.xml
> and have no idea what most of it does.
You don't need to change SeoConfig.xml by default.
It seems to me that the comment there are not worse, and even better, than you generally find in such config or properties files in OFBiz

>> Would you not like to have spiders bots continuously crawling it without
> any risk?
>
> I don't understand this question.

I guess you know that most of the spiders bots which are crawling the web are not doing for the good of websites and users. Better to prevent them to
hurt in any way. OOTB the ecomseo webapp is better than the ecommerce on this aspect. And it's also better with and for valuable crawlers (Google,

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Scott,

Of course there are real world users, did you see the references?

Do we have a such document for ecommerce? No, so It's not a good argument to not switch the demo from ecommerce to ecomseo. Would you not like to have

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Scott,

I did not answer clearly to this question (inline)
Le 22/09/2016 � 13:22, Scott Gray a �crit :
>> This mostly to somehow battle test it, even if I know it works well
>
> So does it need battle testing or does it work well?  Have you deployed it
> to any production instances?  Has anyone else?

I personally did not deploy it on a production instance.
But I know others did when the patch was proposed and that's 2+ years ago.
One of the sites I referred to in another thread is still successfully using this solution https://www.buchhandel.de/info/beta.html

By battle test it I mean to use it on our official demo. Personally I no longer use the ecommerce webapp locally only ecomseo, without any specific issues

Jacques

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
OK forget it for now. I just realised that ecomseo starts with R15.
So you can still get to it in trunk demo using https://ofbiz-vm.apache.org:8443/ecomseo but it will available to users from official site main page
only when we will roll out R16

But mmm, I vaguely remember having proposed to rotate our demos. Since we will not publish R16 before at least some months, could we not?

 1. drop R12.04 (no longer supported anyway)
 2. Rename related title in site main page from
    12.04 Release Branch Demo (old)
    R15 Pending Branch Demo (unstable)
 3. And replace R12.04 by R15

Opinions?

Jacques

Le 21/09/2016 � 18:40, Jacques Le Roux a �crit :

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.