Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Brian Hulette <bh...@google.com> on 2021/09/13 23:01:03 UTC

Release Notes: "Known Issues" or "Fixed Issues"?

Our release notes template [1] contains the following section:

## Known Issues
* Fixed X (Java/Python) ([BEAM-X](
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-X)).

I find this hard to interpret:
- The title (Known Issues) implies the section is meant to enumerate issues
that we discover in a release after it is too late to fix them.
- The bullet text (Fixed X) implies the section is listing issues in
_previous_ releases that are fixed in this one.

I'd like to send a PR to clarify this, but which interpretation is correct:
"Known Issues," or "Fixed Issues"? It looks like we've used both
interchangeably for the last few releases.

Thanks,
Brian

[1] https://github.com/apache/beam/blame/master/CHANGES.md

Re: Release Notes: "Known Issues" or "Fixed Issues"?

Posted by Udi Meiri <eh...@google.com>.
I interpret it as bugs discovered in this release that have not been fixed.
These may be: a backwards compatibility breakage, a regression, an
in-progress feature that doesn't work yet.

The word "fixed" may have been copied from other sections.

Posted by Brian Hulette <bh...@google.com>.
Ah thanks everyone for the input, and thanks Ahmet for digging up the
original template. I guess it was accidentally mangled at some point. I've
proposed [1] to fix.

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.

Posted by Daniel Oliveira <da...@google.com>.

Posted by Kyle Weaver <kc...@google.com>.