Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by A S <ab...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/27 14:44:39 UTC

Adding Javadoc containing 'element-list' for a library added to a project

Hello,

I am only sporadically using Netbeans for some small projects, so my
apologies if the question is too amateurish. I was previously using
Netbeans 8.2, and the platform I was working with was Java 8.

With a change to JDK 11 for the project, I switched up to Apache Netbeans
11.2. For one of the libraries that I am using for the project, when I try
to add the Javadoc to the library, Netbeans complains because no
package-list exist. I see that the JDK 11 version has an 'element-list' in
the javadoc folder with contents similar to the 'package-list' of JDK 8
version. If I copy the element-list and rename the file to package-list,
Netbeans seems to be able to add the Javadoc. However this only allows the
path to be added as javadoc, and the documentation isn't actually available
when referencing a method in the editor.

My google searches are quit inconclusive on whether there is a way to read
such a Javadoc from Netbeans. Does anyone have a concrete answer on whether
this is possible? If yes, how?

Best regards
Abhinav Sharma

Re: Adding Javadoc containing 'element-list' for a library added to a project

Posted by A S <ab...@gmail.com>.
I realized that the JDK 11 online API is also not read correctly. In my
case this was also showing that no javadoc was found, until I did a small
hack.

So we can add it to the problem. Meanwhile I can share the hack I did to
get some of the Javadoc working.

Under Platforms, for JDK 11 the Javadoc source was set as
https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/11/docs/api/
I added https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/11/docs/api/java.base to the
top of the list. And at least in the pop-up documentation it is working for
me. Interestingly it is also working for other modules apart from
java.base.
I am not sure how exactly this works, and I am unable to find further
details easily.

Posted by Richard Grin <Ri...@univ-cotedazur.fr>.

Le 29/11/2019 à 15:00, A S a écrit :
Hi Richard,

I think it wasn't the correct name. What I called "Hint window" should be called "pop-up documentation window" which appears if you press Ctrl+Space while typing.
You may also enable its appearance automatically under Tools->Options->Editor->Code Completion

The behavior I reported about being able to see correct location in a browser is for the case where I have copied the elements-list to a file named packages-list in the Javadoc of the external library.
The pop-up documentation window only shows the type definitions for the external library, but is otherwise empty. But I am guessing this is because the Javadoc is not in the format expected by Netbeans and I am merely hacking it with the renaming trick.

Below is an example how it should look like. Here sourcing from online Javadoc for JDK11.
[Netbeans_javadoc.png]

Best regards
Abhinav

Posted by A S <ab...@gmail.com>.