Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Václav Krpec <va...@alsoft.cz> on 2004/01/12 17:58:20 UTC

Re[2]: [users@httpd] Adding svn dbses without apache restart

JS> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, [Windows-1250] Václav Krpec wrote:
>> I'd be glad if I must not restart
>> the server each time I add/remove a db (they are beeing
>> added by inserting a <Location> directive into httpd.conf).

JS> What's the problem with restarting the server?  If you use a graceful
JS> restart, there is essentially no effect on clients.

I know, but our company plan to offer hosting service with use of
svn database for each user; with hundreds (thousands?) of users =>
hundreds of <Location> directives in the config-file, how long will
the restart take? That's one thing, the another is that I really don't
think that it's impossible to map new dirs in run-time (AliasMatch
directive does it, don't it?).

>> Why can't I place the <Location> directive into a .htaccess
>> file?

JS> Because <Location> works on URLs and .htaccess works on filesystem
JS> locations and there is not necessarily a direct mapping between them.

I see. But why it's impossible?

JS> It is possible that you could put the Dav and SVNPath directives directly
JS> in an .htaccess file without the <Location>.  I'm not an SVN expert, so I
JS> can't say for sure.

No, I've tried. Thanks anyway.

JS> Joshua.

Bye,

--
  vencík <ve...@razdva.cz>
         <va...@alsoft.cz>

  http://www.razdva.cz/vencik/

Re[3]: [users@httpd] Adding svn dbses without apache restart

Posted by Václav Krpec <va...@alsoft.cz>.

>> JS> What's the problem with restarting the server?  If you use a graceful
>> JS> restart, there is essentially no effect on clients.
>>
>> I know, but our company plan to offer hosting service with use of
>> svn database for each user; with hundreds (thousands?) of users =>
>> hundreds of <Location> directives in the config-file, how long will
>> the restart take?

JS> The graceful restart is instantaneous from the client's perspective.  Of
JS> course, it will increase load on the server since all the processes need
JS> to be recycled.  You wouldn't want to do it thousands of times per day.

Sure... I just wanted to know if I can do it in a nice way...

>> That's one thing, the another is that I really don't
>> think that it's impossible to map new dirs in run-time (AliasMatch
>> directive does it, don't it?).

JS> That is a question for SVN people.  [...Checks the SVN docs...]
JS> It looks to me like what you want is SVNParentPath:
JS> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/html-chunk/ch06s04.html#svn-ch-6-sect-4.2

JS> It's amazing what you can find by reading the docs ;-)

I've read the docs. SVNParentPath is fine, but don't work with
AuthzSVNAccessFile (for now), so every user is allowed to manipulate
every user's data... And that's the problem.

  vencík <ve...@razdva.cz>
         <va...@alsoft.cz>

  http://www.razdva.cz/vencik/

Re[2]: [users@httpd] Adding svn dbses without apache restart