Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@thecouchfirm.com> on 2014/02/13 03:40:21 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] ubuntu precise couchdb packages available

Hi everybody,

I’m delighted to announce the availability of Apache CouchDB Ubuntu
Precise (12.04) packages, with integrated upstart support.

These have been contributed with support from Mobius Medical Systems,
LP [1],  who use Apache CouchDB in their product Mobius3D/FX for
oncology and radiology, and funded the development of this work
through the Couch Firm [2].

This would not have been possible without the assistance of Jason
DeRose (who has lead the 1.5.0 package going into the next Ubuntu
Trusty release), and Noah Slater, who was surprised on reviewing the
package to find so much of his original work there ;-).

Installation should be straightforward, usual caveats around making
backup before upgrading precautions apply, noting that between 1.0.1
and 1.5.0 there are a number of key changes, including the on-disk
data format used by the .couch files was upgraded. Although it
*should* keep your dbs intact and do the right thing for your
local.ini files, always have a backup - or two!

```shell
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties -y
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:couchdb/stable -y
sudo apt-get update -y
# remove any existing couchdb
sudo apt-get remove couchdb couchdb-bin couchdb-common -yf
# see my shiny 1.5.0 goodness
sudo apt-get install -V couchdb
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
       couchdb-bin (1.5.0-0ubuntu2)
       couchdb-common (1.5.0-0ubuntu2)
       couchdb (1.5.0-0ubuntu2)
     … Y …

# manage via upstart
sudo stop couchdb
    couchdb stop/waiting
sudo start couchdb
    couchdb start/running, process 3541
…
```

You can of course modify or duplicate the /etc/init/couchdb.conf
script, to support running multiple couchdb instances or users on the
same box.

Note there's also a `couchdb/dev` ppa which will be used for testing
and updating the next release, e.g. the upcoming 1.6.0, before
switching it over to the stable branch once it's had enough eyes on
it.

Feedback welcome!

A+
Dave
dch@thecouchfirm.com
dch@jsonified.com
dch@apache.org

[1]: http://www.mobiusmed.com/
[2]: http://thecouchfirm.com/

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ubuntu precise couchdb packages available

Posted by "Eli Stevens (Gmail)" <wi...@gmail.com>.
I can see the package here:

https://launchpad.net/~couchdb/+archive/stable

It's also under /dev, but I believe that's going to be moved out to
make room for 1.6 at some point.

Cheers,
Eli

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by meredrica <st...@meredrica.org>.
On 02/13/2014 05:08 PM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

> I guess this why we created the launchpad, It's possible to add a
> debian target on it i think. If anyone want to be added let me know.
>
> - beoit

Have a link to this? I am not familiar with debian packaging at all. But
I think it would be smart to talk to the debian couchdb maintainer
nonetheless.

I grit my teeth on the various debian couchdb related pages and found this:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/c/couchdb.html

Judging from comments on a bug [1] Laszlo Boszormenyi is actively
maintaining the debian package.

Apparently [2] there are some problems with old libs (libnspr4-0d) and
non-mainstream platforms because the erlang-base-hipe dependency is not
satisfiable there. No idea how critical that is.

There is a list of bugs [3] that appear in debian, some of them seem
fixed in current CouchDB, but it would be worth double checking I think.

I guess I could reach out to the debian maintainer and see if I can help
him somehow, any other ideas?

[1]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=735501
[2]: http://qa.debian.org/debcheck.php?dist=testing&package=couchdb
[3]:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=couchdb;dist=unstable#_0_3_4

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ubuntu precise couchdb packages available

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Florian Westreicher Bakk.techn." <st...@meredrica.org>.

Posted by Lars <la...@systemli.org>.

Posted by Robert Samuel Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Oh, I meant just 'build it against Debian'. Getting into actual Debian upstream is a feat for the infinitely patient.

B.

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.

Posted by Robert Samuel Newson <rn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ubuntu precise couchdb packages available

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
> [...]

>> >    Building dependency tree
>> >    Reading state information... Done
>> >    The following extra packages will be installed:
>> >       couchdb-bin (1.5.0-0ubuntu2)
>> >       couchdb-common (1.5.0-0ubuntu2)
>> >       couchdb (1.5.0-0ubuntu2)
>> >     ... Y ...
>> >
>> > # manage via upstart
>> > sudo stop couchdb
>> >    couchdb stop/waiting
>> > sudo start couchdb
>> >    couchdb start/running, process 3541
>> > ```
>> >
>> > You can of course modify or duplicate the /etc/init/couchdb.conf
>> > script, to support running multiple couchdb instances or users on the
>> > same box.
>> >
>> > Note there's also a `couchdb/dev` ppa which will be used for testing
>> > and updating the next release, e.g. the upcoming 1.6.0, before
>> > switching it over to the stable branch once it's had enough eyes on

Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ubuntu precise couchdb packages available

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
Hi Dave,

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

http://www.couchdb-buch.de
http://www.pg-praxisbuch.de

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ubuntu precise couchdb packages available

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexander Gabriel <al...@barbalex.ch>.
great news
thanks all of you!
Alex

Posted by "Eli Stevens (Gmail)" <wi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for working with us Dave, it was a pleasure.  And I'm glad to
see that people are excited about the end result.

While I can't commit to anything right now, I'm going to be pushing my
company to sponsor more of these in the future.  It probably won't be
every release (our product release cycle is quite a bit slower than
CouchDB's, and it's a bit of a hard sell when we know we won't end up
using the package), but I'm hoping that between hitting
every-other-ish release and having everything contributed back to the
community coverage will be at least decent.

Of course, our eventual (selfish) goal is to get all of this folded
into the release process proper, but that... will have to
wait.</evilmastermind>  I agree with Noah, though - I think that
having easy-to-find binary packages will help with adoption rates
among people that are trying to quickly evaluate a number of products
in the space.  Baby steps!

Cheers,
Eli (wickedgrey on IRC)