Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2003/07/08 00:08:22 UTC

BUILD Status - turbine

I know that ATM it is a little cumbersome to build the turbine-2.3-dev
HEAD.

Here is how to do it from scratch

- get maven. Best, get a snapshot. Install it. Read the FAQ about the beta-9
  brokenness. If you're brave, try to get the HEAD to compile.

- prepare the maven-torque-plugin which in its current incarnation is not able to
  build the Turbine peers:

  * get the alpha2 snapshot of Torque:

    cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic export -r TORQUE_3_1_ALPHA2 db-torque

  * build the generator:

    cd db-torque/src/generator
    maven

  * install the generator jar to your ~/.maven/repository/torque/jars/ subdirectory

  * go to ~/.maven/plugins/maven-torque-plugins-3.1

  * edit your project.xml file:

    = look for the "torque-gen" dependency:

        <dependency>
          <groupId>torque</groupId>
          <artifactId>torque-gen</artifactId>
          <version>20030327.070220</version>
          <properties>
            <classloader>root</classloader>
          </properties>
        </dependency>

        change it to

        <dependency>
          <groupId>torque</groupId>
          <artifactId>torque-gen</artifactId>
          <version>3.1-alpha2</version>
          <properties>
            <classloader>root</classloader>
          </properties>
        </dependency>

    =  add the following dependency:

        <dependency>
          <id>commons-logging</id>
          <version>1.0.3</version>
          <properties>
            <classloader>root</classloader>
          </properties>
        </dependency>

- get the following jars from java.sun.com:

activation.jar 	put it into ~/.maven/repository/jaf/jars/activation-1.0.2.jar
jndi.jar	put it info ~/.maven/repository/jndi/jars/jndi-1.2.1.jar
jdbc.jar	put it info ~/.maven/repository/jdbc/jars/jdbc-2.0.jar
mail.jar	put it info ~/.maven/repository/javamail/jars/javamail-1.3.jar

- get the current turbine HEAD

    cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic export -r HEAD jakarta-turbine-2

- run maven

The following errors might occur:

1) Maven dies with

   --- cut ---
   The build cannot continue because of the following unsatisfied dependencies:

   activation-1.0.2.jar
   javamail-1.3.jar
   jdbc-2.0.jar
   jndi-1.2.1.jar
   --- cut ---

   => You've forgotten to get the java.sun.com jars

2) Maven dies with

   --- cut ---
   The build cannot continue because of the following unsatisfied dependencies:

   <any other jar>
   --- cut ---

  => We're requiring a jar that is not on ibiblio. You can use our unofficial
     Turbine repository by uncommenting the following line in project.properties

     maven.repo.remote=http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/,http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/repo

  Note that this still won't help you with the Sun-provided jars.

3) The Peers are created with strange names and/or wrong packages

  => Your $MAVEN_HOME variable is not set correctly

If you follow this guide, you should be able to build turbine from the
source code.

	Regards
		Henning

--- Quote of the week: "It is pointless to tell people anything when
you know that they won't process the message." --- Jonathan Revusky

Re: BUILD Status - turbine

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Bill wrote:

>>- get maven. Best, get a snapshot. Install it. Read the FAQ about the beta-9
>>  brokenness. If you're brave, try to get the HEAD to compile.
>>

>Where exactly is this FAQ?  I haven't found it.

Look under Resources on the Maven site for the FAQ link.  There is also the
FAQ on the Maven Wiki (different to the Apache Wiki):

http://wiki.codehaus.org/maven/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

>And is this 'brokenness' related to the corrupt manifest files?

Yes.  But I see that maven-b10 has just been released so you could perhaps
give that a try.

Scott

--
Scott Eade