Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by prylance <pr...@cisco.com> on 2007/04/20 22:16:24 UTC

Message groups, failover, recovery problem

I'm testing a HA configuration, using activeMQ 4.1.1. I have two brokers and
a client sending messages with failover between the brokers. I tried using
the message groups feature to ensure that messages always went to the same
broker, unless that broker failed. This works well ... very cool feature.

I failed one of my brokers and confirmed that subsequent messages for the
message group were automatically redirected to the remaining broker. Then I
brought my failed broker back up, and sent another bunch of messages using
the same message group. This time the messages were distributed across the
two brokers. The message group feature didn't work any more. Is this a bug?

I'm running with embedded AMQ brokers in JBoss 4.0.5, using the
activemq-rar.

Thanks,
Pete

Re: Message groups, failover, recovery problem

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 4/24/07, prylance <pr...@cisco.com> wrote:

> I don't want to load balance across brokers; I want sticky load balancing
> across consumers, with failover. I have a network-of-brokers. The message
> groups documentation (http://activemq.apache.org/message-groups.html) says I
> can use that feature to get "high availability / auto-failover to other
> consumers if a JVM goes down".

This only applies on a single logical broker - it does not work across
networks of brokers using store/forward. If you want message groups
with broker failover then use Master/Slave

--
James
-------

Re: Message groups, failover, recovery problem

Posted by prylance <pr...@cisco.com>.
I don't want to load balance across brokers; I want sticky load balancing
across consumers, with failover. I have a network-of-brokers. The message
groups documentation (http://activemq.apache.org/message-groups.html) says I
can use that feature to get "high availability / auto-failover to other
consumers if a JVM goes down".

I tried it and it works perfectly in normal operation, and the failover
works perfectly when a jvm goes down. The problem is that when I bring the
failed broker back up, the behaviour changes completely ... it no longer
does "sticky load balancing across consumers" but instead seems to just load
balance across all consumers, ignoring the message group.

To explain what I have setup and why .... I have two JBoss instances on
seperate machines. Each is running an embedded activeMQ broker. I have used
static discovery to configure them as a network-of-brokers. I have one
client on a third machine, using the failover protocol to send messages to
the two servers. The client sets JMSXGroupID on each message to some value.
I want messages with the same JMSXGroupID value to go to the same consumer
(this part works). If that consumer's jvm goes down I want messages with the
same JMSXGroupID value to go to a consumer on another JVM - the same
consumer, consistently (this part works too). When I recover a failed JBoss
instance, bringing its activeMQ broker back on-line I want messages with the
same JMSXGroupID value to go to the same consumer - preferably the original
one, but I don't really mind as long as its consistent ... but this part
doesn't work. When the failed broker comes back on-line the JMSXGroupID is
ignored and messages with the same JMSXGroupID value go to different
consumers.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Message Groups are a feature used within a single broker to implement
sticky load balancing across consumers. They are not intented as a way
to load balance across brokers.

My recommendation would be to use one of the Master/Slave approaches
with Message Groups.

On 4/20/07, prylance <pr...@cisco.com> wrote:

> I'm testing a HA configuration, using activeMQ 4.1.1. I have two brokers and
> a client sending messages with failover between the brokers. I tried using
> the message groups feature to ensure that messages always went to the same
> broker, unless that broker failed. This works well ... very cool feature.
>
> I failed one of my brokers and confirmed that subsequent messages for the
> message group were automatically redirected to the remaining broker. Then I
> brought my failed broker back up, and sent another bunch of messages using
> the same message group. This time the messages were distributed across the
> two brokers. The message group feature didn't work any more. Is this a bug?
>
> I'm running with embedded AMQ brokers in JBoss 4.0.5, using the
> activemq-rar.
>
> Thanks,
> Pete

James