Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2013/03/18 03:28:19 UTC

Git and revision numbers

Hi,

As far as I can see Git has no check in revision numbers. Currently the build release process uses SVN version number I think the number is appended to the RSLs and may be used elsewhere.

Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?

Also how do we identify which GIT  check in fixed a JIRA bug? Used to be that we just add the SVN revision checkin but now a push can result in several checkins.

 The commit hashes are rather ugly, for instance:
fc57407c78d25a64afce4c12ac759139720f4347 Added pt_PT postcode validator strings
8645f87c26e55f55807e74befaa659b39c9ef93c Added pt_BR postcode validator strings
2d41d857e14a9bce839285c8bb73da801b2c0877 Added ja_JP postcode validator strings
8b9c4a6de050f821a6a3894dbda4f7091be2487c Added de_DE postcode validator strings

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Git and revision numbers

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Gordon,

You right that usualy, the short SHA1 id of the commit could be considerated
as unique, the point is elsewhere, I explain, a commit in Git unlike Svn
doesn't identify by force a bugfix or a new feature described in a JIRA
ticket, it can be a set of commits (so called a changeset), so, that's this
changeset that has to be linked to the JIRA ticket, that's where the FishEye
JIRA plugin comes in action, it tracks the Commits until their message
contains the Issue ID and show them up in the source tab of the JIRA isuue.

Am I clear ?

-Fred

Posted by Dasa Paddock <dp...@esri.com>.
Maybe ant's BuildNumber task could be used:
http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/buildnumber.html

--Dasa

Re: Git and revision numbers

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Oups, sorry guys I misread, I was out of subject, I thought you was talking
about the bidirectional commits/JIRA links.

-Fred

Re: Git and revision numbers

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

RE: Git and revision numbers

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
1) Looking at JIRA ticket, what changes to Git were related

Time ago, Bertrand commented a JIRA ticket [1] to activate FishEye on JIRA
for the Flex project but it has been closed, sending us to Altassian but
nothing has been done on that way, so, I opened a FishEye ticket [2]
following the instructions there [3]

2) Looking at GIT log to see what JIRA issues got fixed (in order to update
release notes or when someone asks if a release contains a fix)

In order to make FishEye to track our commits, the Git log should contain
the JIRA Ticket id, a list of links to the files added to the commit will
then be shown in the JIRA issue under the source tab.

3) Determining if a release contains a particular commit/push

A way could be to have a script to parse JIRA and check what was resolved
since the last release, personaly, I never did it but I know that's
possible.

4) Monotonically increasing build numbers for version checking
> Can we solve #3 and #4 by substituting YYYYMMDD as the build number?

Yes, that's maybe the way to solve #3 and #4

> I saw suggestions that you name branches with the JIRA issue.  I assume
> that is because the branch name shows up automatically in the log when
> pushed?
> Otherwise it is just a convention and folks will make mistakes.

In all the middle and big companies I worked for, it was use like that by
convention, it's easier to retreive my branch if I use the JIRA Ticket ID as
I can have several open on several projects, ok, maybe not for Flex :)

> Could we put a URL to the log message or even commit email in the JIRA
> issue?

Until the FishEye issue is not resolved, I guess yes, and we should write
the JIRA id as well in the log of the commit, like that, when resolved,
we'll have an uniform way to see the things, it still to be determinate if
svn and git could work could be tracked by the same FishEye instance, I'll
ask them as soon they'll answer, currently, the status changed to
investigating.

-Fred

[2] https://support.atlassian.com/browse/JST-59433
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/INFRA/infra-faq.html

Let's stop for a second and identify what problems we are trying to solve.
I think there are actually several.  I can think of:

1) Looking at JIRA ticket, what changes to Git were related
2) Looking at GIT log to see what JIRA issues got fixed (in order to update
release notes or when someone asks if a release contains a fix)
3) Determining if a release contains a particular commit/push
4) Monotonically increasing build numbers for version checking

It looks like folks solve #4 by counting commits to master.  I guess that's
ok, but doesn't really seem that helpful.  Can we solve #3 and #4 by
substituting YYYYMMDD as the build number?  I think it solves #2 as well:
you can see if the log shows the JIRA issue before the date decoded from the
build number.

For #1, knowing the hash or partial hash still doesn't give you a sense for
when it happened.  I suppose we could use dates here as well to at least
bracket what changes and assuming the log mentions the JIRA issue.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Git and revision numbers

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Git and revision numbers

Re: Git and revision numbers

Posted by Jose Barragan <jo...@codeoscopic.com>.

Re: Git and revision numbers

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Git and revision numbers

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Git and revision numbers

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Git and revision numbers

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Git and revision numbers

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
> And you loose all of your local commit history then. I'm not sure if that
> is ideal or not - guess it depends on how big the change is but that local
> history log may be useful.

Well, you'll still have the details in the logs, well, just found a good
reading about the different option [1] have a glance at it.

[1] http://365git.tumblr.com/post/4364212086/git-merge-squash

Re: Git and revision numbers

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Git and revision numbers

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
What I use to do is I commit generaly by JIRA Ticket, it happens I can do
more commits but amend them to still have one commit for a specific JIRA
Ticket at push time, if my ticket take time and a lot of commits, I create a
feature branch which I squash a merge time using git merge --squash -m 'new
' newFeature.

-Fred

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Git and revision numbers

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
> As far as I can see Git has no check in revision numbers. Currently the
> build release process uses SVN version number I think the number is
> appended to the RSLs and may be used elsewhere.
> Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?

Good question, really, at the moment I don't know, I'm going to dig into.

> Also how do we identify which GIT  check in fixed a JIRA bug? Used to be
> that we just add the SVN revision checkin but now a push can result in
> several checkins.

I would say indicating the JIRA Ticket id in the commit message, it should
link commit(s) with this JIRA ticket but this feature didn't work with our
SVN, I don't know if we'll be luckier with GIT.

-Fred