Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2004/02/20 11:47:32 UTC

[Proposal] DublinCoreModule instead of DC values in PageEnvelopeModule

Hi Lenya developers,

I propose to introduce a DublinCoreModule or MetaDataModule
instead of providing the dublin core values by the
PageEnvelopeModule.

This module could support the full dublin core element/term
set without overloading the PageEnvelopeModule.

WDYT?

-- Andreas

Re: [Proposal] DublinCoreModule instead of DC values in PageEnvelopeModule

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>> 2) With the DublinCoreModule (extends MetaDataModule?),
>> it could be accessed using
>>
>>   {dublincore:element-subject}
>>
>> This one would be quite easy to implement.
>

> how about {dublincore:subject} or do you need the element prefix for
> something?

This would be possible - AFAIK there are no name clashes
between elements and terms. Actually, the Lenya DC API
does not distinguish between them:

     String[] values = DublinCore.getValues(String key)

So, fine with me.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> 2) With the DublinCoreModule (extends MetaDataModule?),
> it could be accessed using
>
>   {dublincore:element-subject}
>
> This one would be quite easy to implement.

how about {dublincore:subject} or do you need the element prefix for
something?

other than that im +1

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: [Proposal] DublinCoreModule instead of DC values in PageEnvelopeModule

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Hi Lenya developers,
>>
>> I propose to introduce a DublinCoreModule or MetaDataModule
>> instead of providing the dublin core values by the
>> PageEnvelopeModule.
>>
>> This module could support the full dublin core element/term
>> set without overloading the PageEnvelopeModule.
>

> excellent idea. i think there will be other / more metadata in the
> future, so a generic metadatamodule may make more sense.

Solutions:

------------------------------------

1) If we have a generic meta data module, how would we
accessthe values? If there is a namespace for every
"meta data type", it could be for instance

   {meta:(http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/)subject}

------------------------------------

2) With the DublinCoreModule (extends MetaDataModule?),
it could be accessed using

   {dublincore:element-subject}

This one would be quite easy to implement.

------------------------------------

3) Another possibility is to define the meta data
modules in cocoon.xconf:

<component-instance name="dc-elements"
     class="...modules.input.MetaDataModule">
   <namespace uri="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"/>
</component-instance>

<component-instance name="dc-terms"
     class="...modules.input.MetaDataModule">
   <namespace uri="http://purl.org/dc/terms/1.1/"/>
</component-instance>

   {dc-elements:subject}
   {dc-terms:isReferencedBy}

------------------------------------

I'm for either 2) or 3).

Posted by al...@owal.co.uk.
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> > Hi Lenya developers,
> >
> > I propose to introduce a DublinCoreModule or MetaDataModule
> > instead of providing the dublin core values by the
> > PageEnvelopeModule.
> >
> > This module could support the full dublin core element/term
> > set without overloading the PageEnvelopeModule.

I was going to say that Dublin core isn't as popular as it once was
so you ought to look at making it optional.... but then I realised that
that was probably what you were doing :-)

+1

(Sorry I haven't contributed much recently )

Alex

Re: [Proposal] DublinCoreModule instead of DC values in PageEnvelopeModule

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.