Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Lukas Zapletal <lz...@bach.cz> on 2001/06/14 10:01:28 UTC

Embperl vs other solutions

>If you are able to do so, it would be nice if you share the arguments why
>you would use Embperl, instead of PHP. I guess more people would be
>interested in this sort of informations.

Well, there were several reasons to choose Perl. Here is our selecting from
the best candidates:

1) Platform independence. That`s the gameover for ASP. Candidates are PHP,
JSP, Perl, Python.

2) Cheap solution on cheap hardware. When client will pay thousands of bucks
for hardware our company earn less money. JSP/Servlets is out because it
needs fast machine based on RISC (it RUNS on cheap Intel but the performance
is not good and Java eats lots of memory).

3) Object Orientation. Someone can say PHP have objects but IMHO this is not
an OO language. It is too simple. We need native support. PHP is out.

4) Do simple things in simple ways. Python / Zope is a very good platform
but you can do same things with much less coding in Perl. Python is better
for educational purposes. It is out.

And the winner is.... Perl.

Now we need select best framework.

1) Mason - it is oriented as content management, we need n-tier application
framework. Our application server will be written in Perl. There can be
problems with running Mason under MS IIS too (never tested it, i`m going to
do that).

2) CGI - not a framework. You can do simple things with a help of LWP
bundles. Not suitable for us.

3) HTML::Template, Fast::Template, TT etc. This is just a template system
without forms or sessions I think...

4) Embperl - I have these Template engines like HTML::Templates. Embperl
lets you embed Perl directly, allows PerlObjects and allows us to connect
our application framework directly or thrugh SOAP. This is the best solution
for us...

Maybe I missed something... Today we are implementing our application
framework / server called Weber. I`m playing with Embperl and Mason on MS
IIS (our primary client will use MS 2000/IIS/MS SQL 7). I hope it will work.

Regards

lzap

Bach systems

ps - I`m solving one problem: how to manage our documentation for Weber
application server. There are several modules and the number is increasing.
I tried pod2html but I cannot manage it work. I need to convert all
documentation to html and save it in another folder, like
D:\develop\weber\docs. How can I do it?

Re: Embperl vs other solutions

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
Thanks for sharing this.

As far as I see you are currently choosing between Mason and Embperl.

If you have made your decision, I would be happy to get a feedback, why you
choose Embperl over Mason or Mason over Embperl.

Gerald

Re: Embperl vs other solutions 2

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> Maybe I missed something... Today we are implementing our application
> framework / server called Weber.

Just curious, is Weber the product your company sells or will it release
open source ?

> I`m playing with Embperl and Mason on MS
> IIS (our primary client will use MS 2000/IIS/MS SQL 7). I hope it will
work.

I don't know about Mason, but for Embperl I can say we will surely get it to
work!

> ps - I`m solving one problem: how to manage our documentation for Weber
> application server. There are several modules and the number is
increasing.
> I tried pod2html but I cannot manage it work. I need to convert all
> documentation to html and save it in another folder, like
> D:\develop\weber\docs. How can I do it?

I have made a script that generates the Webpage on perl.apache.org/embperl
from the Embperl pods. It's a quick and dirty hack, but it does the job for
me (it uses a modified version of pod2html). If you like I can send to you
(but no docs).

There are other solutions on CPAN. For example Stas Pod::HtmlPsPdf which he
use to generate the mod_perl guide

Gerald

RE: Embperl vs other solutions

Posted by "Bill \"Elvis\" Gibbs" <el...@goebusiness.com>.
Perl can be operated outside of Apache/webserver..

A good programming practice is to avoid code duplication.

Granted, this may not happen in all web site cases, however, alot of sites
we do have supporting scripts that run out of cron, so rather than duplicate
code from PHP into another language, we keep the same code base (object or
normal non OO Perl packages).  Makes maintenace alot easier.

Bill "Elvis" Gibbs
goEbusiness.com - putting e-motion in your business
email - elvis@goebusiness.com work - 301-668-5090 cell - 301-748-6938