Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru> on 2003/11/13 07:07:33 UTC

Re[4]: Patch to build subversion properly on FreeBSD 4.x with multi-threaded apr

Hello, Ben!

>> JE> APR does not support threads by default on FreeBSD due to problems with
>> JE> FreeBSD's threading library.
>>   You have old information. Current ports tree contains apr, whcih is
>>   build with enabled threads
BCS> Justin is talking about how APR behaves by itself.  If you unpack and
BCS> ./configure the APR tarball, it will not enable threads on FreeBSD.

BCS> You're talking about the way the APR Port maintainer just happens to
BCS> build the port, which is probably against the APR's projects recommended
BCS> default behavior.
  Here is comment from apr port maintainer:

===8<==========This is a forwarded message=============
From: Craig Rodrigues <ro...@crodrigues.org>
To: Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru>
Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 10:50:45 PM
Subject: : Re: Patch to build subversion properly on FreeBSD 4.x with multi-threaded apr
On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 10:52:18PM +0300, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hi, Craig!
>
>  Here is answer about patch from subversion guys.

I started that thread on dev@apr.apache.org.
You can mention that I worked with you on this problem.

They are basing their claims not on hard facts, but
on speculation, and experiences with older versions of
FreeBSD that had much worse threading support.

--
Craig Rodrigues
http://crodrigues.org

 So, apr WORKS with threads on FreeBSD, and apr's authors is not right
here.

--
               Lev Serebryakov

Re[6]: Patch to build subversion properly on FreeBSD 4.x with multi-threaded apr

Posted by Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru>.
Hello, Ben!

>> So, apr WORKS with threads on FreeBSD, and apr's authors
>> is not right here.
BCS> Then you and Craig Rodrigues should go debate with the APR people on the
BCS> APR development list.   It's not relevant to this list.
 So, when apr will be build with threads on FreeBSD in default (not
ports) installation, you'll fix your libtool? do I understand yours
position right?

 Ok, I go to apr dev list.

--
               Lev Serebryakov

Re: Re[4]: Patch to build subversion properly on FreeBSD 4.x with multi-threaded apr

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.