Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2009/07/13 16:13:27 UTC

[ACUS09] Proposed Schedule

Here is a _proposed_ schedule for ACUS '09.  I am putting this up
there b/c it needs to get done by next Monday and to invite comments
on something concrete.  Please feel free to modify, this is just _a_
suggestion based on what is on the Wiki.  It tends to follow the
standard 50 minute format b/c that seems to be what most of the
proposed talks suggested.  If you think two talks could be combined or
otherwise scheduled, please make suggestions.  I put mostly intro
talks on the first day.  For better or worse, the talks are weighted
towards Lucene and Solr, as those two projects have the most mailing
list traffic, etc. and I feel that is where most interest is going to
be.   I tried to get a mix of speakers based on those who have
volunteered and those who put in a CFP proposal.  I'd like to have a
"business" talk, but don't see where to fit it.  Also, some talks I
featured in the Meetup.  The Meetup is free and is at night (likely
Tuesday) and has always been well attended.

I'd also add that I don't think we should have any new talk proposals,
as people have had plenty of time to put up proposals.

If you truly can't make your time slot b/c you are only coming for one
day but can do a different time slot, let us know.   Otherwise, please
recognize that it is impossible to schedule everyone for 10 AM on the
first day.

I can tell already that next year we likely could do three days.

I'd also somehow like to work in a "job fair" component.  In this
economy, leads for people are always good.  Moreover, I know a lot of
companies are looking for Lucene/Solr talent, despite the economy.
Maybe just a bulletin board where people can post or a designated spot
during breaks for people to meetup and have a networking opportunity.
Thoughts?  Is this worth formalizing?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
_IMPORTANT_:  AC is no longer paying for air travel, except in the
case of financial need.  So, if that means you cannot attend, please
let us know ASAP.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneAtApacheConUs2009 for
more details on the talks

I'm going to suggest a hard deadline of Friday, July 17th to get this
ironed out.

Proposed Schedule:

Day 1: (Thursday, I believe)
  09:00 - 10:00 REGISTRATION

10:00 - 10:50 Session 1:  Intro to the Lucene Ecosystem.  We have 10
projects, let's intro them.  5 minutes per project.  (Grant)

10:50 - 11:15  BREAK

11:15 - 12:05 Session 2: Lucene Basics and New Features (Michael Busch)

12:05 - 13:30 LUNCH

13:30 - 14:20 Keynote Session

14:30 - 15:20 Session 3: Solr out of the Box (Hoss)

15:20 - 16:00 BREAK

16:00 - 16:50 Session 4:  Intro to Nutch (Andrzej? or other Nutch
committer?)

17:00 - 17:50 Session 5: Lucene and Solr Performance Tuning (Yonik or
Mark Miller)

Day 2:
10:00 - 10:50 Session 1: Implementing an Information Retrieval
Framework for an Organizational Repository - Sithu D Sudarsan

10:50 - 11:15  BREAK

11:15 - 12:05 Session 2: Modeling "nature" for fun and profit: How
Mahout can help make more out of your data (Isabel Drost or other
Mahout committer)

12:05 - 13:30 LUNCH

13:30 - 14:20 Keynote Session

14:30 - 15:20 Session 3:   MIME Magic w/ Apache Tika (Jukka)

15:20 - 16:00 BREAK

16:00 - 16:50 Session 4: Building Intelligent Search Applications
using the Lucene Ecosystem (Ted Dunning)

17:00 - 17:50 Session 5:  Realtime Search - (Jason Rutherglen)

Meetup:

-. Introduction and Icebreaker
-. Solr Flair: User interfaces powered by Apache Solr (30 mins) - Erik
Hatcher
-. Intro to Droids (30 mins) - Thorsten
-. Geo-spatial search with Lucene and Solr (Ryan?)  (30 mins)
-. Intro to Katta (Stefan?) (30 mins)
-. Lightning Talks  (5 minutes a piece, first come, first served)
     - Open Relevance
     - Lucene Ports
     - Others
-. Social

Re: [ACUS09] Proposed Schedule

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Wednesday evening is reserved for the ASF 10 year birthday party, so
: there'll be no meetups on that evening. If Tuesday is bad, then we can
: also consider having the meetup on Thursday evening.

Ahhh ... yeah i forgot to mention i had no idea what the broader AC
schedule looked like.

It's a tough call about which would be better: tues or thurs?

On one hand, it might be nice to have the meetup after the intro level
talks so people new to Lucene have some basis todecide if they want to
check out the meetup ... on the ohter hand -- that would thursday a
*LONG* day.

 .... grrrr.... there aren't enough days in the week.

-Hoss

Re: [ACUS09] Proposed Schedule

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Chris
Hostetter<ho...@fucit.org> wrote:
> : have a "business" talk, but don't see where to fit it.  Also, some talks I
> : featured in the Meetup.  The Meetup is free and is at night (likely Tuesday)
> : and has always been well attended.
>
> Would Wed be a better night?  My thinking: if the Lucene track is Thu &
> Fri, then there might be some people who decide not to come to the
> con until Wed.

Wednesday evening is reserved for the ASF 10 year birthday party, so
there'll be no meetups on that evening. If Tuesday is bad, then we can
also consider having the meetup on Thursday evening.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [ACUS09] Proposed Schedule

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I am one of those people who was first bitten by range queries, but
eventually learned to live with them.  Somewhat.

There are also people who have nearly been driven to drink by trying to do
this as well.

Three cheers for the Trie* stuff making it much easier to consider these
possibilities.

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Uwe Schindler<uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> NumericRangeQuery is not only geographical search... So it would also cover
> other directions: Things I can do with Lucene additionally to full text
> search, that could be done before only with RDBMS and/or PostGIS...: Do full
> text search with scoring and so on in addition to filter my products by
> price and availability in shops at specific geographic regions; newspaper
> articles about Arnold and national bankruptcy *g* from a datetime range
> sorted by article size,... (we know all possibilities we have now by
> numeric/geo search).

Let's not over-state the case: people have been doing all that for
years with Lucene.  There were many methods to deal with numeric
encoding and slow range queries.  The Trie* stuff has made it both
easier and faster out-of-the-box - a good thing.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: [ACUS09] Proposed Schedule

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Jul 14, 2009, at 4:53 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:

> Grant,
>
>> Since the geo talk is up in the air, perhaps you'd like to do a
>> generic talk on geo search using Lucene.  This would cover Trie +
>> contrib/spatial.
>
> Maybe Ryan is also there, and then we can do it together. But I
> could talk
> about it, too (I should prepare some examples before and try to
> completely
> understand LocalLucene). The Solr part is nothing for me, I do more
> hardcore
> Lucene.

That's fine, no need to discuss Solr

> NumericRangeQuery is not only geographical search... So it would
> also cover
> other directions: Things I can do with Lucene additionally to full
> text
> search, that could be done before only with RDBMS and/or PostGIS...:
> Do full
> text search with scoring and so on in addition to filter my products
> by
> price and availability in shops at specific geographic regions;
> newspaper
> articles about Arnold and national bankruptcy *g* from a datetime
> range
> sorted by article size,... (we know all possibilities we have now by
> numeric/geo search).

Yes, I understand.  That's fine too, we could do that instead of a
spatial talk.  I just know that a lot of people are interested in
spatial, so it might be good to cover what Lucene can do.

RE: [ACUS09] Proposed Schedule

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Grant,

> Since the geo talk is up in the air, perhaps you'd like to do a
> generic talk on geo search using Lucene.  This would cover Trie +
> contrib/spatial.

Maybe Ryan is also there, and then we can do it together. But I could talk
about it, too (I should prepare some examples before and try to completely
understand LocalLucene). The Solr part is nothing for me, I do more hardcore
Lucene.

NumericRangeQuery is not only geographical search... So it would also cover
other directions: Things I can do with Lucene additionally to full text
search, that could be done before only with RDBMS and/or PostGIS...: Do full
text search with scoring and so on in addition to filter my products by
price and availability in shops at specific geographic regions; newspaper
articles about Arnold and national bankruptcy *g* from a datetime range
sorted by article size,... (we know all possibilities we have now by
numeric/geo search).

Uwe

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Uwe,

Since the geo talk is up in the air, perhaps you'd like to do a
generic talk on geo search using Lucene.  This would cover Trie +
contrib/spatial.

-Grant

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Here is a _proposed_ schedule for ACUS '09.  I am putting this up there b/c it

This looks pretty good to me.  Some of the talks with question marks next
to the speakers seem a little up in the air though...

[...]

I think the simplest way to facilitate something like this would be to
setup a dedicated wiki page where people/compaies coming to AC can put the
days they'll be in oakland, their contact info while in oakland, and links
to their resume / company profiles -- then all of the interested parties
can coordinate their own meetings/discussions -- even if it's just "i'll
look for you at the Lucene Meetup"

-Hoss

Re: [ACUS09] Proposed Schedule

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
>From my point of view, this is fine.  I only looked at my own constraints.

What else do we need to do to iron this out?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Meetups, to me, thrive on the group discussion, splitting it up just means the
: meetup is just another conference session, in my mind.  Plus, I'd hate to have
: to choose which one to go to.

Right - but the crux of a meetup is also that they be less formal, and
go with the flow/vibe of the group.

If 3x as many people as we plan for then it's going to be hard to have one
group iscussion, and everyone will be cramped and crowded; so it might
make sense to split up.  (If 3 people show up then it might make sense to
scrap any concept of "presentations" and all just go out for a beer, but
i'm guessing we're more likely to have a "too many" people problem then we
are to have a "too few" people problem)

-Hoss

Re: [ACUS09] Proposed Schedule

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Jul 14, 2009, at 1:25 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : > * The meetup schedule seems pretty heavy with four 30 min
> : > presentations. I'd either squeeze them to 15 minutes each or split
> : > them to two parallel tracks (we can get two smaller rooms for the
> : > meetup) to leave more time for lightning talks and general
> discussion.
> :
> : 15-20 minutes is fine, I was just following a model that has
> worked for other
> : Lucene meetups, but I guess those were capped around 20 minutes.
> Since the
> : topics are a bit more involved, I wanted to make sure the speakers
> had time.
> :
> : -1 on parallel tracks.
>
> parallel talks doesn't seem like a bad idea to me ... especially if
> there are enough rooms available.  it's also the kind of thing that
> could
> be played by ear ... if fewer people come then we expect, we can all
> stay
> in one room, keep the talks short and more casual; if twice as many
> people
> come as we expect and the room is really crowded, we can split up
> and half
> of us can go "next door", the talks can be a little longer (more
> time for
> questions/discussion) and then we have more room for smll
> discussions to
> form during the "socializing" part of the evening.

Meetups, to me, thrive on the group discussion, splitting it up just
means the meetup is just another conference session, in my mind.
Plus, I'd hate to have to choose which one to go to.

> : > I've reserved meetup space for us for Tuesday evening. Based on
> ACEU I
> : > gave a rough estimate of up to a hundred people attending.
> :
> : That's likely about right.  Anything more and it takes away from
> the setting,
> : I think.
>
> Grant: what was the number of people who signed up for the SF Meetup
> Lucid
> sponsored a few months ago?  I would guess at least twice as many
> people
> will come to this one (you've got all of the Local hardcore Solr/
> Lucene
> people, plus all the people flying in for ApacheCon, plus all the
> Local
> people who aren't that hardcore but figure they might as well check
> it out
> since so many people are in from out of town for ApacheCon)

We capped at 85 (which filled out) and had 60ish show up.  Amsterdam
had 60-80, I'd guess and was standing room only.  Washington DC had
50-60, I think (that had a limit on attendance, too).  For NYC, we are
capping at 100, I believe, due to room capacity.  So, 100 seems
appropriate.

Re: [ACUS09] Proposed Schedule

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
I would do a performance talk - I'll be there anyway. I just hadn't seen my
name on the wiki.

- Mark

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Chris Hostetter
<ho...@fucit.org>wrote:

> : > * The meetup schedule seems pretty heavy with four 30 min
> : > presentations. I'd either squeeze them to 15 minutes each or split
> : > them to two parallel tracks (we can get two smaller rooms for the
> : > meetup) to leave more time for lightning talks and general discussion.
> :
> : 15-20 minutes is fine, I was just following a model that has worked for
> other
> : Lucene meetups, but I guess those were capped around 20 minutes.  Since
> the
> : topics are a bit more involved, I wanted to make sure the speakers had
> time.
> :
> : -1 on parallel tracks.
>
> parallel talks doesn't seem like a bad idea to me ... especially if
> there are enough rooms available.  it's also the kind of thing that could
> be played by ear ... if fewer people come then we expect, we can all stay
> in one room, keep the talks short and more casual; if twice as many people
> come as we expect and the room is really crowded, we can split up and half
> of us can go "next door", the talks can be a little longer (more time for
> questions/discussion) and then we have more room for smll discussions to
> form during the "socializing" part of the evening.
>
> : > I've reserved meetup space for us for Tuesday evening. Based on ACEU I
> : > gave a rough estimate of up to a hundred people attending.
> :
> : That's likely about right.  Anything more and it takes away from the
> setting,
> : I think.
>
> Grant: what was the number of people who signed up for the SF Meetup Lucid
> sponsored a few months ago?  I would guess at least twice as many people
> will come to this one (you've got all of the Local hardcore Solr/Lucene
> people, plus all the people flying in for ApacheCon, plus all the Local
> people who aren't that hardcore but figure they might as well check it out
> since so many people are in from out of town for ApacheCon)
>

> -Hoss

- Mark

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Jul 14, 2009, at 6:13 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Jukka
> Zitting<ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Grant
>> Ingersoll<gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Here is a _proposed_ schedule for ACUS '09.
>>
>> Looks good on a quick glance.
>
> I'm +1 to going with the schedule as proposed.
>
> Some minor tweaks:
>
> * Some of the session titles are a bit long, making it hard to grasp
> the topic on a quick glance. Ideally all the titles would be seven
> words max. We can push more detailed descriptions to the talk summary.

+1

> * The meetup schedule seems pretty heavy with four 30 min
> presentations. I'd either squeeze them to 15 minutes each or split
> them to two parallel tracks (we can get two smaller rooms for the
> meetup) to leave more time for lightning talks and general discussion.

15-20 minutes is fine, I was just following a model that has worked
for other Lucene meetups, but I guess those were capped around 20
minutes.  Since the topics are a bit more involved, I wanted to make
sure the speakers had time.

-1 on parallel tracks.

Would be good to get some food involved, too.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Grant Ingersoll<gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> Here is a _proposed_ schedule for ACUS '09.

Looks good on a quick glance. And thanks a lot for pushing this forward!

> For better or worse, the talks are weighted towards Lucene and Solr,
> as those two projects have the most mailing list traffic, etc. and I feel
> that is where most interest is going to be.

+1

> The Meetup is free and is at night (likely Tuesday) and has always
> been well attended.

We'll want to reserve the space for the meetup soon, as there's only a
limited number of rooms available per evening. I'll ping the
conference planners about this.

> Maybe just a bulletin board where people can post or a designated
> spot during breaks for people to meetup and have a networking
> opportunity.  Thoughts?  Is this worth formalizing?

I'm setting up a "Meet the developers" corner [1] for the Content
Technology track with the purpose of helping people hook up with each
other. We can use the corner also for Lucene and I think including a
"job fair" component to it would be a good idea.

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-community/200905.mbox/%3C510143ac0905241607q71f65eacudcc7b556894a8a1c@mail.gmail.com%3E

BR,

Jukka Zitting